Buck Forage Oats

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
buckhunter21

Buck Forage Oats

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm thinking of some other late season forages to plant for next fall, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Buck Forage Oats?  I know there are quite a few oats varieties on the market as well, so maybe if you haven't had experience with this kind but another I'd be happy to hear what you think of it!  Also, what kind of pH would you need for this?

Thanks all!

ranwin33

RE: Buck Forage Oats

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 am

Have planted oats the last couple of years in our firebreak - deer seem to perfer them to winter wheat, at least on our place.  Usually pick up 50# for around $20 at the local Orscheln farm store, not sure what brand they are.  Picked up some Trophy Oats by Biologic this last year, also for around $20.  Can't say there was any difference between the two regarding deer preference, they seemed to eat them all just fine. 

We got good growth out of both products, nothing special with lime or fertilizer, matter of fact didn't do either and the oats seemd to grow well enough.  Deer kept them grazed down pretty good this past Fall.

Not sure if the Buck Forage Oats would be any different from other brands. 

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:20 am

I planted a 50 pound bag of Buck Forage Oats(Tecomate Seed) last August.  I limed but did not fertilize the plot.  The stuff grew great.  All during Bow Season I had Deer all over it.  Lots of Buck activity but never harvested the Buck I was after(He showed up numerous times).  I got the oats from Gander Mountain in Johnson City, NY for $29.99 on the advice of Mike from their archery department.  I will be planting more in other areas this coming season, along with Winter Greens, which also brought in the Bucks!
The Deer hammered the brassicas right down to nothing and were still grazing on the oats even with a 6" snow cover.
I was just down to GM today, checking prices on seed for this coming season.  They still had the oats but nothing on sale or clearance yet.  I hate to pay full price for this stuff but it's hard to get cheap.

Good Luck!
J-Bow
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:39 pm

JBow, thanks for the info.  Question for you...What's Tecomate Seed?  I wasn't aware that there were different variations of the seed?  I noticed that they have BFO at Gander right in the area where I live for 24.99 I believe.  Reg. 50lb bag is 39.99 I think.  Might have to swing up there and buy a couple bags!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:06 pm

buckhunter21 I used antler kings fall winter spring blend this year with fantastic results the deer were on the plot from the moment the shoots came up right through the 15 inches of snow. I was told buy the guys at antler king that this product will come up green in the spring again and the deer will destroy it due to the potein in it then it will get brown and then its time to till it under and replant. So its almost like it has a timer on it telling you when to replant. We planted it about the middle to late aug and it came up in about 6 days with little to no rain, it can be planted earlier we just got a late start this year.

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:19 pm

schlupis, what time of year did you plant the antler max. That would be great to find a food plot that greens up in the spring right away with needed nutrients. Keep us updated on how it turns out this spring.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:12 am

barkriver I will let you guys know if it comes up green in the spring like they told us it will.. We planted the Fall Winter Spring blend around the middle of aug and it had come up green and was about 4 inches high in about 6 days with little to no rain. this food plot was more productive and came up better than our clover plots. The deer were on this plot all day and all night trail camera showed deer bedding down in the field and on the edges it was great because it didnt matter when we could hunt we knew we would always see deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 am

Schlupis, that's some good advice.  What kind of pH do you need for this plot?  I notice it doesn't really say on the seed bag.  I plan on putting an acre or two of this in next Aug!
QDM!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:00 am

We did a ph test last year and it was a 5.5-5.7, with out checking my buddies records I think we put about 20,000 lbs of lime on the 3 acre plot. we already had the ground worked up when the lime was spread on with the trucks. Once the lime was on we used the fourwheeler to great it under then we planted right away.. We werent to opptomistic about the plot coming up very well because we limed and planted right away but the plot came up fantastic. We are going to be planting another small plot with it this next year.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 pm

wow, 20k lbs of lime for 3 acres...that should have done it!!!  lol  [:D]
QDM!

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements