Has anyone ever heard of "Sawtooth Oak"

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Legnip

RE: Has anyone ever heard of "Sawtooth Oak"

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: peepsight

No I haven't.  It is good to know that there are sources out there for more than what I have found.  I am looking to improve the quality of the woods, because all of us archer's lost a great farm where they had clover fields, corn, and alfalfa in abundance, but since it is now posted off limits to bow hunters, in our area,  I have to find new digs that are not crowded and are rather secluded, and still within decent driving distance of home.
     I am hoping to plant these on a guy's open land that is relatively close to a woods he also owns, with permission of course.  I want something that I can plant and forget about.  SO I also thought about a few apple trees or something that would make the deer want to call his neck of the woods home, more often than not.  What does anyone know about pears, and other types of fruit that deer love?
             Thanks,
                 Peepsight

You might want to look at when they will bear fruit. Some apple trees rippen early with a softer fruit. If you mix those in with the ones that rippen middle and late, then you should be in pretty good shape. You might want to check the national arbor foundations for relatively cheap trees. A word of caution though. If you don't have time to water them in the first couple of months, then you may be wasting money.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Southern Man

Postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 am

Sawtooth oaks grow mainly on the ridgetops here. Deer will eat them but as soon as something else  starts falling (postoak, white oak, red oak) they'll drop the sawtooth like a hot potatoe......

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Legnip

ORIGINAL: peepsight

We have vast tracts of farm lands where I used to hunt just last year, however, this year the owner's found out that a few of us hunter's (bow), were hunting there, and they posted that prime piece of land to ban bow hunting.  So now I am trying to go out to the deep woods, and get some better idea how to supplement the food sources.   

So did you have permission to hunt the property, or were you tresspassing???
             I was thinking the same thing!

nosepose

Postby nosepose » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Hello, Hope i am doing this right.  First time submitting a comment on a message board.  I just bought 15 Sawtooth Oaks at our local Extension office for around 6 bucks a tree.  The trees were around 4 foot tail.  I dont know if every state has this but in SC we can buy the from the Clemson Extension.  You may want to check local agricultural commission.   

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements