Fall Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
69Viking

RE: Fall Plots

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:17 am

I've been researching this topic for some time and what I've figure out is I'm going to plant clover for year round perennial and then for strictly fall brassica forage I've found Mossy Oak Biologic Maximum which is a mix of fall brassicas that has great reviews and been the topic of several positive articles I've found online. Just use their website to find a local dealer and the pricing shouldn't be too bad. Another option would be to visit a local feed store and ask them for a good brassica mix that might be a little cheaper. Good luck, let me know if you use it and how it turns out. I'll also be planting some this fall.

Mossy Oak Biologic Maximum Website

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 am

Where are ya ?

Assuming your in the north, right now is the time to plant brassicas such as rape and turnips.

You have many options and it depends on what you want. Perennials or annuals?

You could plant clover for a perennial, but clovers pretty much go dormant in Oct., so that might not be what you want.

Brassicas (annuals) ie. rape,turnips,canola,and kale will grow and mature if planted within the next couple of weeks here in Wisconsin.

Winter wheat or winter rye(my favorite of the 2) (not ryegrass !!) are also good choices for late season plots.

Chicory lasts about 2 years and that is an option as well.

You could mix what you want but I recommend only mixing brassicas together because of there fast growing nature and they can shade out slower growing plants such as clover.

Clover and rye go good together. You could also mix chicory with them.

There are many good mixtures out there if you don't mind paying a little more. It is convenient though, its also nice because most of the stuff comes pre-inoculated if the seed needs it.

Winter Greens by WI is good
Shot PLot is good
WI imperial clover is good

I'm sure there are others as well.

Good luck!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I planted Biologic Maximum last year and it came up great!  Deer gorged on it after the first frost and it was a great plot to hunt over in the snow.  I once again planted it this spring but did not spray the plot with roundup before-hand like I should have and the weeds took off.  Had to cut the weeds down and we'll see what comes of it now.  I broadcasted the seeds and then cultipacked it this year and it seems that they didnt' take as well as last year, when I used a grass drill.  Can't say for sure if it was the way I planted it, or if it was because I didn't spray, but they didn't come up very well even before the weeds started coming, so it may be a combination.  But, if you haven't planted them before, I'd do it!  They are great if you can get 'em to come up...Just make sure you spray ahead of time!  [:D]
QDM!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:38 am

I am from north western PA, I think that i am going to give the biologic Maximum a shot.  Yea i hear ya about the preperation, lucky in the location i hunt the land for growing is amazing.  I will just clear an area weed kill, then I give it one week of just lime nothing else then plant and fertalize together.  I am ready to plant now the land is weed free and soil is great.  So will see how the Biologic Maximum holds them in.  The number one problem i have is the snow fall, before archary ends were going to end up with at least one big snow that will get the deer migrating (Sucks bad makes a long rifle season)  Who knows have some hogs on camera now just hoping they stay around.  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:47 am

One thing is to make sure you cultipack the seed (if you have one) or somehow lightly drag the seed bed with something (old box spring, etc).  Since the seed is so small just having it lay on the surface you're bound to lose a lot due to wind, etc.  But there is a fine line, you don't want it buried deep either.  Just enough dirt on it to cover it and make so it doesn't get blown away.
QDM!

kbdeerdown

Fall Plots

Postby kbdeerdown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 am

Got the fall plots in yesterday. A week or 2 early for up here but other commitments coming up made it the right time! Had some left over WI wintergreens from last year and mixed it with forage rape, kale and a littlle bit of stubble turnip. Put some white clover on top so there will be some good eats there next spring. Just hoping for the rain that was forcasted now!

Plowed and disked virgin ground for one of the plots on an existing hay field for the first time. That was quite an experience! Bought a used tractor this spring and it has made things a whole lot easier!! Here are a couple of pics of my ground breaking experience.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Great looking food plot kbdeerdown.....! [;)]

2 questions.....are the WI winter greens a pretty good plant compared to say regular forage rape/brassicas.......and those look like Seagulls on that freshly plowed row,you live close to the Coast?

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks GTO. I am inland (Northern Ontario) but there are a few large bodies of freshwater around. I don't know where the gulls came from but it didnt' take them long to sniff out the freshly turned earth!

This will be my first year planting no-name brand seed so I can't offer much comparison. I am really fond of the WI greens but availabilty and cost in my neck of the woods has made the change for us.

Last year my wife and I were re-seeding part of the lawn and I asked her to grab some clover to lay down but she mistakenly picked up some of the forage rape I bought ... it grew very well! - thats about all I can tell you other than it doesn't make a very good lawn :)

We've had 2 decent rain sinces planting so I am hoping to have a look next week and start to see a 5 O'clock shadow on the ground!

Anybody else done any fall planting or plans?

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 pm

KB.....I use to do the same thing,buy the more expensive Bio-Logic Rape,Brassicas seed etc...and I have had just as good luck by going to the local Feed Stores and Farm Supply Companies and buying in bulk for a lot less.You can't beat the Rape,Brassicas and we throw in some Purple Top Turnips,and Sugar Beets for good measure.It does very good and it takes a lot of heavy browsing from the Deer and keeps on growing,when the frost hits it a few times the sugar content goes up and the Deer love it even more! [:D]

Its a little early here in Southeast Missouri for fall planting,we usually start in the middle of August,late August and early September so the plants will be coming up by the Sept. 15 Bow Season,the October Youth Deer Season then on into the Nov. Rifle Deer Season.We also throw in some winter wheat so there will be something growing in the food plot all winter and then in the spring time!My Hunting Partners Dad is buying 50 lbs of Rape from his supplier in Mississippi and bringing it up here to MO. and possibly some brassicas too?He gets a good deal on it since he buys for a much larger Lease in MS.

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes up and what the deer think of it this fall. We can start flinging arrows Oct 1 here through to mid December - hopefully it will be nice and sweet by then!

50 lbs of rape sounds like a lot - how many acres will you plant with that?

I am curious about winter wheat - I've read a few posts talking about planting it. It sounds like you plant in fall and it comes come up in spring? What does it do for the soil .. add nitrogen or take? Could it be plowed under say in mid May-June timeframe and then go ahead and plant something else?

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements