Fall Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GTOHunter

RE: Fall Plots

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:49 pm

kbdeerdown...I have found its better to plant a variety of plants to see what the Deer like the most,and some plants work well with each other or the Deer just prefere a certain browse over another?We've done really well with the Rape,Brassicas,Turnips and Sugar Beets combo with some wheat around the edges and some thru the middle mixed in....and in the Fall I can pull up a bunch of Turnips and give to my Friends or even eat a few while I'm out Hunting! [;)]

We have a 1.5 Acre Food Plot,another 1 Acre Food plot and several smaller food plots scattered around on our Lease and we also plant a little on the logging roads that have decent soil for the plants to grow so we use a lot of seed up.

The Winter wheat is more or less just plain old wheat seed we plant with the brassicas,turnips etc and it will come up in with the other plants but is a little slower on growing and when it gets cold it will stay hardy under the snow and will grow early in the spring time and green up before most other plants because it got an early start in the Fall planting season.When is comes up in the Spring the Deer will hit it since there is very little green plants up yet and then it makes the wheat heads and the Turkey will hit it more than any other Game....You can also plant Foraging Oats or regular Oats too and the Deer like that more than the wheat in my opinion.

After the Deer and Turkey work the Wheat or Foraging Oats down pretty good we Mow/Brush Hog the plants down and plant something else there like You mentioned!I believe the wheat and foraging oats will need nitrogen to help grow so it will take away from the soil,now if You plant clover that will definetly add nitrogen to the soil.We like to plant clover along the field edges where we keep it mowed down and where we usually drive and we plant clover down the logging roads to help keep erosion down and give the deer more plants to browse on.I have hand thrown clover in the late Fall when we get some nice rains and in late Feb or march to frost seed when the ground freezes then warms up...it draws the seed down and the clover gets an early start on growing and it doesn't take any type of equipment to plant.

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 am

Cool - thanks GTO. Sounds like we are doing some of the same things with the clover. I'm thiking I might mix wheat and oats together later this summer and see how it goes.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm

I just went down today and checked on the turnips I walked over the plots...they have been in the ground since Friday and are up an in already!...Rain rain and more heat and humidity...perfect[;)]

The corn I planted 2 wks ago is down to a relative few staggered plants...the turkey came in and wiped it out...so much for doubling last years corn[>:] ...even went in and pulled the plants out and left them lying on the ground....so I went down and walked the turnips over the plot and then over the soybeans and in the Succra seed trails...the rain has kept me from spraying down and discing the wheat plot...but with the turkeys just devastating things I may go with rape seed...the top plot of soybeans are still doing well but I had to mow part due to night shade...want to disc that up and plat grain and turnips just have to get some dry time

hawkeye642

Postby hawkeye642 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 am

kb, good luck with your endeavors.  My experience so far is only with clover.  I planted clover last fall in a very undesirable location but I could access it with a tractor and disc.  My ground is heavy clay and extremely rocky.  PH is in very low.  I planted late in September of 2009 and had 28 days before first frost hit.  It was germinating but didnt even get 2 inches tall.  This spring it started coming in and as of two weeks ago I was able to mow it back to eight inches.  I am extremely impressed with how it turned out and am hooked on improving my property.  I am now working on a small plot just to see how something else will work.  I have sprayed an area twice with roundup and will be planting buckwheat in a week or so.  If you fail don't give up.  I have been monitoring this forum for a while and decided to join.  I am impressed with the knowledge on this forum. 

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks hawkeye - same to you. I hear what you're saying about being hooked - there's no going back now, I'm a junky for planting stuff.

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:30 am

I love the off season of hunting almost as much as being in my stand.  I hunt on farm land with an abundance of beans and corn so all land is spoken for as far as food plots.  I have been told by a few people that food plots are almost a waste of time when you are hunting around acres of corn and beans in every available field.  Do you guys feels the same way?
Just because you hunt does not make you a hunter.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 pm

All Talk,the food plots on your own property will help draw the Deer in,if even for a few moments it will help You or even a Youth Hunter get a shot at a nice Deer and if You draw in Doe's the Bucks will be there chasing after them during the Rut.Deer like different choices in food and trying something different from what is growing around You will give the Deer more choices and varieties of food/browse plus your helping the other wildlife like the Turkeys and Quails if You throw in some wheat or foraging oats.

On a side note:
We have planted just soybeans in our food plots and when it came up the Deer simply mowed them all off when they were just the right tender size,so if You don't plant a really good size food plot the soybeans will just not take a heavy browsing.For the cost and amount of plants that keep coming back you just can't beat the brassicas,rape and turnips....man You just gotta love it when you look across a field with a Sea of beautiful big green leaves! [:D] [;)]

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks GTO.  I never really considered variety.  A little 1-2 acre fall food plot might be just what I need.  I am going to try to take some time and work that into the schedule.  When do you usually put out you fall food plots, mid to late August?
Just because you hunt does not make you a hunter.

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 am

I am up in Western Delaware County, NY and my friend and I planted Tall Tine Tubers, Winter Greens, and Green Patch Plus on July 17 and as of the 24th thanks to some good heat and rain were coming up already and looking good. I can't wait for mid October!!!
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 am

Joe G.
Please keep me updated on those tall tine tubers. I am interested on how they work for you.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements