Fall Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GTOHunter

RE: Fall Plots

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:26 am

Your welcome All Talk....! [;)]

We usually plant our Fall Food Plots in late August or the first of Sept. on our Lease mostly because its when all of us Hunters can get together,the Owner and his Helpers will plow and disc the fields then we come in and spread the fertilizer and seeds then we drag a small mess wire fence over the field to lightly cover the seeds up.!I think with all the wet weather we have been getting You would be fine to start planting the middle of August and get an early start on planting.We may start here on our Farm in the middle of August also so I can have a few more plots growing closer to my ladder stands where I Bow Hunt out of and the plants will be a decent size to draw the Deer in by the Sept Archery Season opener,I will also be taking my youngest Daughter out on the Youth Deer Season on Oct 30-31 and then again in Jan if she doesn't get a Deer in October.

Joe G.,I would also like to hear how well the Tall Tine Tubulars and the Winter Greens do in your food plot,I'm thinking about planting some of the same plants her at the Farm to see how well they do? 

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:03 pm

I will keep you guys posted on the plots. But I have a feeling that if the plot fails it will be more because of the planter than the seed. lol [;)] The other thing I have to contend with is a sour, very rocky soil that also has a very high clay content. We started with a pH of just under 6 and spread pelletized lime at the rate of 2000 lbs/acre and spread the recommended kind (triple 20 but the store I use only had triple 19, at a rate of 400 lbs/acre) at planting. The lime and fert instructions are the same for the TTT and WG's. We prep-ed the seed bed by S-tining, picking rocks, discing, drag harrowing to break up the clods, spread the aforementioned lime and fert then lightly disced it in. Broadcast seeded then rolled the seed in. After all that crossed fingers for heat and rain. So far we are looking good. In two more weeks I will spread 33-0-0 on the WG's at a rate of 100 lbs./acre.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 am

Update on TTT and WG's. I was up at my place yesterday and checked the plots. They look great! Coming up very nicely. Both plots are between 4-6" tall already and thick! I would have posted pics but I left the camera upstate. When I go back up I'll update further and post pics. On a side note the Green Patch Plus is coming in good too. The wheat and oats are already getting eaten. Apparently the bear like it. How I know this? There was a BIG healthy pile of bear scat in the plot. LOL The brassicas and clover are also coming up nicely in the GPP. [:D]
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 am

I had my friend who I do all the work with e-mail me the pics here they are:

These are the the TTT:

These are the WG's:

These are the GPP:

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 am

Good job guys ....great pics.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Joe G.
Please keep me updated on those tall tine tubers. I am interested on how they work for you.

Me as well.  From the pics they look great. 
QDM!

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 am

Well, I was up there the other day and the plots are growing leaps and bounds! [:D] I keep trying to post the pics but I am getting a "Run Time Error." [:@] Anyone know how to fix the problem or is this a website issue?

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:50 am

Took a picture to update progress -- it seems a little sparse compared to previous years plantings.

easports

Postby easports » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:54 am

I wanted to get some feedback regarding two products: Plant Power and Seed Coat. Has anyone used these products and do you think it was worth it?

I just prepared 3 small plots (1/4 acre each) and was concerned about germination especially this time of the year. Fortunately the air temps have dropped from a smoking 98 degrees to the low 80's and rain has moved into the area on and off for the next several days. This should be perfect for germination. I have two more plots to do in heavy woods and was considering those products. I was also thinking about the plant power for the plot that I've recently completed.

Let me know what you all think.

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 am

Did you cultipack or roll in the seed? Or perhaps you buried the seed too deep? The other thing I can think of is your pH is off. All of those things have been the down fall of some of my plots in the past. [:(]

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements