When are you ready??

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
burnnurse1

When are you ready??

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Just curious as to when everybody likes to have all their stand preparations done? 1 month before opening day, 2 months, etc. As I rule I generally like to have all of my stands ready about a month before the opener. I feel like that period gives the woods plenty of time to settle down. I try not to go back into the woods after that unless it's to refill a feeder and then I make every effort to eliminate scent

msbadger

RE: When are you ready??

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 am

August...but I'm always behind and we have at least one BAD wind storm that sends me out for checks and fixes....this year Ike and behind .....so finished a new stand at camp this past Friday....season starts Oct18th and it was misting while I worked and rained as I left so don't think it's TOO disrupted

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 am

As early as possible.  We've put up ladder stands in March before green up, gives us an idea of how the woods will look in November, plus with the cooler weather it just seems easier.  Then just come back in a few weeks or so before bow season opens to clear some shooting lanes if needed.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:48 am

Well what I'd "like" to get done and what actually "happens" are sometimes two very different things.

The property that I own has stands that stay up year-round in some cases. I have 7 stands covering about 45 acres. Even so, I need to visit them for a safety and shooting lane check. I like to do that by early spring, but I can live with early summer.

The other property that I hunt is owned by someone else. I have to clear out after the season, and I cannot get back in there until September. There I have 6 covering about 60 acres. The only good news on that is that all of the stands on this property are field edge stands so putting them in does not disrupt bedding areas.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:32 am

We pull our sets in january, take em home make sure they are in working order then put em up early to mid summer.Sometimes in the same trees sometimes not.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Most of my stands come down after the season ends in December...In the spring I check them again for anything that may need to get fixed, and then I like to put them up again before green up!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 pm

I'd like to say midsummer, but it usually turns out to be around labor day.  I use a climber in most spots, so it doesn't go up until I'm hunting...I guess that helps...not sure.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:49 am

I try to devote Labor Day Weekend to tree stand maintenance for venues where I intend to hunt in mid-November. However, I didn't get to it until the next weekend this year.  We'll see.  My guess is that the deer are so habituated to my presence that it won't make much difference. 

In 2006 I had two bucks walk right up to us while we were setting a stand in August.  They appeared individually at various times during season, and I managed to nail one on the last weekend of rifle season.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:20 am

I usually shoot for August, early September. I only hang ten stands, but I normally have about 25 to 30 spots, that I can move them to throughout the season.  I hunt 3 farms that total a little of 1200 acres, so I have about 3 stands on each farm, plus I use my climber alot.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

coach

Postby coach » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Well for me, it all depends on the location.  If its a new location where trimming and shooting lanes needs to be cut, then August is my month.  But if its the same tree as previous yr, you could wait until September.  My Hunting starts mid October. Gives plenty of time.

But if you scout....like ranwin33 says......as soon as the snow is gone...March or April......scout to pick a tree.  I believe its the best time.

cheers

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements