WI Clover

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

WI Clover

Postby Blazed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 am

Anyone planted WI clover on sand with any success? 

I went to the local co-op and bought 2 # of every clover they had. was all set to test it in strips, but once I got to spreading I said THWI and spread them all together. well some did well and some didn't even sprout.

WI says it's clover will grow in sand. Will it?

Goose

RE: WI Clover

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:48 am

I have grown it in sand, there are 3 different types of clover in there, some are fast growing and others aren't so it may vary.
Here is a pic of some planted in April.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

I dont have a picture, but we have planted clover plots in the past and they have turned out quite nicely. We actually planted a brassica/turnip/clover mix last year, didnt replant the plot this year, and the clover came up suprisingly well.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:20 am

The deer seem to be hitting the clover that did come in quite hard. I noticed wild clover on the logging road leading in to my stand in the spring. That is all gone now.

Acorns are really dropping and seem abundant in S. Wisconsin. I think they'll be gobbling those for a while.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:19 am

The WI clover is coated with blue fertilizer so I'm guessing that it took off better then the other clovers You bought?Shame You didn't seperate the different types of clover to see which ones actually did better in the soil type You have?It hot/dry weather the clover will drop down in size and seem to leave/disappear but will sprout back after You get cooler wet weather.We also frost seed clover in the late Fall months and early Spring months and it takes off pretty well when it gets a good rain and nicer weather.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements