tree question

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
danesdad

tree question

Postby danesdad » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to germinate peach trees from seed?  My peach tree drops peaches and the woodchucks eat them and leave the stones all over.  Can I grow new trees from these seeds?  Do I need to refirgerate or freeze them over the winter?  Or, can I just put em in dirt in the spring?  Anyone know?

msbadger

RE: tree question

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:16 am

the thing is that most peach trees are either grafted or hybrids and wont grow or grow true from pits....try googling growing fruit trees from seed

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:38 am

I've known of peach tree's growing from people just throwing the seeds out on the ground and a new peach tree got started.Can't you let the seed dry out for a few weeks then plant it in a clay pot with some fertile soil and get it started like that?How do you think acorn tree's,walnut and hickory nut tree's get started.....some times squirrels haul them off and hide them in the dirt or they fall to the ground and sprout naturally and they take root!

Like MSBager stated most fruit tree's have been grafted to grow a better more disease free tree or to grow say a dwarf tree instead of a full size fruit tree so you won't get the same type quality tree as you started out with.You should still be able to grow a plant from a seed with some know how and effort....heck I have an Apple Tree started off the edge of my front porch from throwing an apple core/seeds in the tall grass!  

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:55 pm

I assumed that with oaks, it was done that way.  I never tried to grow peaches before.  Interesting point about the grafts and hybrids.  I hadn't considered that.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements