Gravity Feeders:

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
loneranger

Gravity Feeders:

Postby loneranger » Mon May 05, 2008 3:22 am

This is not a discussion on feeding or baiting deer, pros or cons, this is just a question for any that may feed deer. Has anyone used the new Gravity type feeders, like the Buck EYE,,or the Extreme, from Sneaky Fox. I was wondering how they worked? If everyone is anti feeding here,,then forget I mentioned it. Thanks.

The Rookie

RE: Gravity Feeders:

Postby The Rookie » Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 am

Extreme

[font=arial]The BUCK EYE looks cool... I made a gravity feeder out of a steel 50 gallon drum and screwed it to a tree, when we came up the next weekend the drum was missing!! We found it about 100 yards away. Its amazing how much power bears have, so I would say the only draw back would be a bears would snap those legs easily. Good luck![/font][/align]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 pm

[align=left][font=tahoma]Loneranger,[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]There is no reason to spend so much, especially on a gravity feeder.  [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]We bought 2 old 55 gallon poly drums, spray painted a camo pattern on them, and cut a hole in the bottom.  Total cost $10 ($5 for the drum & $5 for the paint)  [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]They work great and we didn't spend a fortune.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]It took a while to find the right mix to use, but we finally came up with one we like. [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]REDHAWK MIX - We use corn (carbs & a little protein), roasted soybeans (protein), and rolled oats (fiber).  We also add vitamins A, D, & E and Minerals, Yeast (for a digestion aid), a little molasses(for flavor and to help the vitamins/minerals & yeast stick to the feed) and cherry flavored corn oil (for fat & flavor).   [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Don't use protein pellets.  When it rains they dissolve and clog up the feeder opening.  Also, don't use too much molasses.  It gets sticky and clogs it as well.  The oil helps it flow out better![/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Each feeder holds around 250 lbs of feed.  During the winter the deer would eat both feeders clean in about 3 weeks!  It does not go as fast now since things are starting to green up.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Keep the feeder tilted so it will flow better and put a big flat rock or paver under the opening so the feed stays off the ground.  (Another lesson learned!)  Also, if you can put it under a evergreen tree for cover, it will help keep everything dry.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=center][font=tahoma]Image[/font][/align][align=center][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=center][font=tahoma]Image[/font][/align][align=center][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Let me know if you have any other questions.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]FFKEVIN[/font][/align]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm

take a 6' length of 6' pvc ,1 elbow one cap.attach elbow to bottom of pipe tie pipe to tree add feed place cap on topthe elbow prevent the feed from just pouring out cap keeps water out.works like a charm
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun May 11, 2008 2:24 pm

[font=tahoma]We tried that and it did work well.  The problem was it would only hold about 50 lbs., so we had to fill it every 3 or 4 days.  With the drum feeder we only have to fill it once a month.[/font]

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks FFKEVIN, The types of feeders are dissying! Since you seem to have experience, have you ever used the timer types? Do you like your barrels better? The timers give out only a perscribed amount and keep pests like coons at bay. Of coarse if corn is not a problem to get you wouldn't worry about that. With barrels on the ground you must have a small ctitter party going on every night.Even so I guess 300lbs would last awhile. I have a tall slim plastic barrel now in the garage that might work. What kind of hole do you have in the bottom,,and,,where do you get your roasted soybeans and yeast? Never heard of that/ Molasass I have heard of but how do you mix it with the corn? Sounds interesting. Your price is right! You can shell out alot of $ for feeders, that could buy you alot of corn. Thanks.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 pm

[font=tahoma]Loneranger,[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Yes the feeder choices are pretty crazy.  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I have not used a timer type feeder, although a good friend of mine uses two of them on his property and is very happy with them.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I like our drum gravity feeders because they are very low start up cost and zero maintenance.  All we have to do is fill them.  We live 1 1/2 hours from our hunting land, so for us it is not practical to drive down often to check on them or fill them.  (Especially with gas prices!)  We mainly are feeding to improve the herd numbers and overall herd health.  We do not really use our feeders as bait since there is no way to pattern them with a free choice feeder.  The downside is they can eat as much as they want, whenever they want.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]There is definitely an advantage to the timer feeders in that you can pattern the deer to whatever time you set the timer for and you will not use as much feed since it only feeds a small amount a few times a day.  The disadvantage is startup cost, batteries, and filling them since they are high off of the ground.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]And, from what my buddy has told me there is always a critter problem.  He has had coons and squirrels break his spin feeders.  We really do not have a problem with any coons or other animals eating too much of the feed.  A few every now and then.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]As for the opening, we just drilled a 1 1/2" or 2" hole at the bottom with a hole saw. (I can't remember which)[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]We buy our feed from a local feed mill and they add everything together for us and mix it and bag it up.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I hope this helps![/font]

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Thank you again for the help and your experiences. I was thinking of purchasing a well built timer,,like the On-Time series. I have heard they really stand behind their product, and mounting it to a barrel of my own to save cost, then supporting it from the ground somehow, not so high to reach. I have not given up the simple method you use though. Cheap and I also live a distance from the land and don't want to be out there spreading scent all the time either. Feeding really does not matter when the deer are there. The does leave their scent around and the bucks show up looking for them round the clock. thank again.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat May 17, 2008 5:02 am

thats a nice looking buck ya got there!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat May 17, 2008 10:23 am

[font=tahoma]Thanks!   I have been looking for his sheds all spring with no luck.  Don't know if he made it.  All I have are photos from the trail camera!  No new photos of him since early December.  Hopefully I'll see him again this year![/font]

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements