Food Plot Preparation

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Drhunter2k

Food Plot Preparation

Postby Drhunter2k » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm

I have some property in northern Wisconsin that I plan to create a small food plot on. I have an area of about 1/2 acre that is currently open and I plan to cut and remove the stumps of several of the small trees surrounding this spot to open the area up to a larger plot. The land was clear cut roughtly 35 years ago and now has many popple and small pine trees surrounding the opening. I have not yet tested the soil to see where it is at but am really getting excited to start on this project to have it in full swing by the time bow season opens in September. Any suggestions on a good seed to use? Maybe something that has different plants, some that mature in early summer to attract the deer, some that mature later in summer, and some that mature in fall? I tried a food plot 4 years ago and it started out good but by the time I made it back up to the land a month later, it was a jungle of thistle and other plants that I did not want to see growing. Any help is appreciated.

Bob Olsen

RE: Food Plot Preparation

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

First I would get a soil test and see how much lime you need per acre. There are two of lime. Brown and White. One is quick release and the other is slow release. I "think" you wasnt the pH about 6.5
I'm planting "Whitetail Soybeans" in two of my plots and "Whitetail Harvest Salad" in another. The beans don't split open like most beans. I really doubt if two acres is enough for the beans unless you plant something first and then plant the beans as late as possible. I get my beans locally but, you can get them by calling (217) 932-5857 or by E-mail www.realworldwildlifeseed.com
Without a doubt the most important thing in my mind is the soil.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:11 am

Drh2k...Soil test first of all...then when you say popples...I'm assuming so correct me if need be Yellow poplars?...If so when you start cutting them their roots will sucker like mad and either this fall or next spring you'll have a grove growing in your plot...a good stump killer will be needed

You mentioned thistles and weeds took over last plot...well it will more than likely happen again...That is unless you have the time to put into eradicating the many many years of dormant weed seed...spray down ...break ground let it regrow and spray down again....then you can think about a thick annual to put in...if you have time  and $$ and equipment... you may be able to get a summer plow down crop in like a mix of oats and annual clover...this you'll want to mow before it gets too big and then either  disc it in in Aug. or just mow and over seed it with a rape turnip mix....In the mean time during the summer the lime is working and you can add more and fertilizer for the fall crops
There are so many different combinations of annuals you can plant...to help break that weed cycle...Check the past threads and read up on plants you may consider...Thistle and curly dock are 2 miserable plants....but the work you do for a couple of years with annuals will just lay the foundation for a great perennial plot that will take less time and money for a few years down the road[;)]

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 am

When I lived in Wisconsin, I attempted to clear a popple (aspen) grove with a chain saw. They came back so fast it was scary. The next bunch to go got stumped off about 4 foot high and were introduced to my John Deere and a log chain. That worked a lot better but it's hard work.

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I have my work cut out for me but I look forward to it. Does anyone know of a good soil test kit that I can buy? I can't remember where I bought the kit from the last food plot but I'm not sure if it was very accurate anyway. I really like this spot so I'm willing to put in the work to make it a field that I can plant in every year.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 pm

If you have a local Ag dealer...where you'd be picking up your lime and fertilizers they may do the test for a small or no fee....White Tail Instatute...... I hear does a comprehensive test and calling them about it ...may get you on their mailing list...I get their magazine 2 or 3 times a year....a lot of good articles....Google them...Good luck...lots of work but it's the best kind[;)]

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Check with your local extension agent. These are the guys who work with farmers and know the area. In my county of Kentucky the soil samples are sent away and done for free. I did 6 this year.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Like DBogie said, check with your county extension office.  I'm in southern Wisconsin but I went to the county courthouse this winter and talked to a man who gave me a soil test bag and the paperwork for $7.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:50 pm

This is from the site administrator..........

"The deeranddeerhunting.com forum is not the place to advertise, market or promote your business or service. These types of posts, known as spam, are not permitted and will be deleted by the Deer & Deer Hunting administrators.

Those interested in advertising with D&DH should contact me at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com.

As this is a large forum, I need help from forum members to police for spam. Don't hesitate to contact me at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com to report violations of this forum's spam policy.

Thanks and enjoy the forum."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements