Tornado.

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
jonny5buck

Tornado.

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

One of the properties i hunt was decimated by a tornado ..or a micro burst...either way 90% of the woods are down ,big trees ..mostly maple nothing the foresters would prob. want.

It completely changed almost everything...there is literally maybe 5 trees on about 16 acres that you could place a stand on..now it may be better ground hunting the fallen trees...all the open canopy has let the briars come up 2 fold! i walked it today and it will be a bear walking thru a lot of it..downed trees and briars are good for bedding ,but the terrain is dangerous to say the least...big gullies...

On of the cedar trees i had a portable in was ripped in half ,but is nothing compared to the 2/ 100ft power poles that were blown into smithereens....it's really a sight to see....i wish i had a digital camera and could take some pictures and post.

I have to say it will be interesting hunting it this coming deer season...the neighbors paid a logging company and cleared an area,running the property line and on to the side i hunt....it winds around to the point that any place i would hunt i would be watching an ATV under my stand dropping of the neighbors hunters...it's really a bad situation...i was disgusted when i seen their quad trail...basicaly winding thru so i cannot hunt anywhere without being subject to them riding past...some spots are only 100 ft wide...others are 300 ft...

Not to mention the ladder stands ON the property line..i mean C'mon! back off 25 more yds and everybody is happy.Al i can hope for is not hunting it at all this year has paid off... i opted to leave it alone while the stomped their property with hunters and heavy equipment.

The tornado has changed the landscape forever..hopefully for the better,i have a few ambush sites on the ground for this coming year,the locust and briars will prob. be a primary bedding and i can just hope thAT i can pull off a shot.

GTOHunter

RE: Tornado.

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 am

We had several Tornado's scattered around our County here in Missouri...2 years ago we also had an In-Land Hurricane that reached up from Louisianna/Texas and it knocked down/flat lined a lot of nice Timber in something like 30 + Counties thru out Missouri.It made for some tough Hunting and a mess we are still trying to clean up and cut up large tree's that were pushed over with the root systems attached.I will say that it let in more light for the under brush and it made more cover/beds for the Deer to lay down in and feel safe...it just made for harder toughter Hunting especially when Your use to nice thick woods/timber and ladder stands that sat high up to shoot out of. [&:] [:(]

It will definetly change Your way of Hunting and You will be subject to hunting more on the ground and using blinds...still I would consider cleaning out a few nice pathes for You and the Deer to use thru the woods and hopefully with all the new growth You will have more Deer to use that area You hunt...time and patients will tell.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

@Gto hunter-copy that....i would like to clear out some trails just wide enough to drag a deer down to the bottom.....the problem is neighbors on the west and east sides are all related with relatives down the street....they seem nice enough...but i only take people on face value...i can pretend to be your best friend ....and than be hunting your stand when your not there....i would Never do that but realize some guys would.....when i found footprints all over in the winter it was obvious they did a deer drive late season ...they know i don't gun hunt...bow only...

Im leary about cutting atrail because the way it is now you would have to kill yourself if a deer fell on the prop. i hunt...literaly would have to drag it over trees or quarter it out....i don't mind work and would rather keep it difficult to get a deer of this property..rather than make easy access for the East/West neighbors....Im just not sure 100% what kind of neighbors they are yet.

Deer are definetely using it hard..down by the creek and there is a few spots i will have the wind in my favor,and be able to hunt from just a chair and hidden behind some of the downed trees....most here are either split in half...or over with roots attached...i do plan on posting some pictures soon.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 am

That place will be a deer factory of the next 20 years.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Sounds like You live right across from us here in Missouri...the storms we get cross the Mississippi River and nails it over in Illinios,Chester (Randolph County) usually gets hit pretty hard and Grand Tower Illinois area that is straight across from our Eastern part of our County down by Tower Rock on our side (Missouri) of the Mississippi River...lots of bad storms seem to build up and hit us and then travel into Illinois and Indiana.

We had a Hunting Club that owned a lot of land just a few miles from where I live....it (the Tornado 3-4 years ago) snapped the tops out of about 80% of the tree's and caused a lot of damage and debris all over their Property,then about 2 years ago they had the same In-land Hurricane blow over more tree's and they have been working on it for the past several years,I'll ask a few guys and see how the Hunting has been and what they did to improve the land and if the Deer Hunting improved or went down?

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements