northern spring annuals

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

northern spring annuals

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:44 am

You guys in the north with me....have any of you planted Kestal kale or winton swede in the spring as a summer-fall crop? I see they mature between 150 and 240 days....have the deer utilized them? or would I just be feeding the chucks and rabbit? The deer so far over the years.... ignore my turnip greens until the weather gets cold...then after a frost ...gone!

Need help with this one...of course I have a little time....we are in the middle of a snow storm right now[>:]

msbadger

RE: northern spring annuals

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 pm

No ones tried these as a spring summer crop?

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 am

I can't say for sure that I've seen the kale before but I do remember swede in a blend we used. While I'm no expert, I think you're better off with a late summer planting. I would expect an early summer planting to get pretty woody and maybe even overmature to the point of unpalatability. Our experince was good with the swede blend. We usually plant on or about 8/10 in SE Wisconsin. In a normal year we'll have 12" to 18" plants by the end of September when, on average, we start looking at the first frosts. Maxi-Rack out of Spring Green WI, sells swede by the pound or in a blend (some kales also).

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:55 am

Bit of a topic change here but can you talk a bit about a the Succraseed beef bank. Spring planting, fall, frost seed etc. My other posts refer to a piece I hunt in SE Wisconsin but my family and I own a chunk in NW Wisconsin also. I've planted the logging roads and turnarounds with a clover blend for a number of years now with fair success but the shade and slightly sandy soil are a challenge. I read that the beefbank handles both well. Your thoughts?

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements