Buying hybrid Oak trees from Michigan

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Montana Man

Buying hybrid Oak trees from Michigan

Postby Montana Man » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:56 pm

I was wanting to buy some Oak trees from Morse Nursery from Michigan and was wondering if anyone has bought from him before and have they had any success. They are listed for my area, but was wondering on how well their survival rate, acorn producing etc. was.

bmstaaf

RE: Buying hybrid Oak trees from Michigan

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 pm

I could be wrong on this one but I heard they are expensive as heck, and I thought I read somewhere they don't grow acorns until they mature which takes some trees 20 plus years. Apple trees might be better if you give them the nutriants they need it would be a faster process with similar results. Acorns will definitely last through the winter longer though.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Looked it up anywhere from 100 to thirty years

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

montana man ,
if your looking for a fast growing oak you should look into the sawtooth oak ,it grows very fast and makes loads of accorns and and they starts droping early.
and all wildlife likes um. and their cheap to raise,i know beause i raise em myself!
jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Goldghostwine

Postby Goldghostwine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 am

I could be wrong on this one but I heard they are expensive as heck, and I thought I read somewhere they don't grow acorns until they mature which takes some trees 20 plus years. Apple trees might be better if you give them the nutriants they need it would be a faster process with similar results. Acorns will definitely last through the winter longer though.RIVER goes by!WIND runs by!BABY you~pass by without why!
Cheap Maplestory Mesos
RS Gold
Buy WoW Gold

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello, guys dont be fooled, i went to the nursurey last week and he had some saw tooth oaks for 6 bucks and if you bought a bunch they would be cheaper.but there so easy to raise i will never buy another. and they will make acorns in 3 to 5 yrs.
jim

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 am

Are they white oaks or red oaks?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:49 am

It is a member of the red oak group and the beech family and is related to the chestnuts and other oaks ,it will grow to about 50/60 feet ,and is one of the most sought after trees by wildlife.
They were brought in to try and help the american chestnut tree, they were trying to rid the chestnut of diseases by grafting them together,since the sawtooth is almost disease free.
So now we have both and saw tooth oak bears its fruit/nut very early and makes a very heavy crop almost every year.
I start my own trees and found it to fun and easy , i will most likely have more than 150 of them just this year,but im just getting started. jim

pschuh32

Postby pschuh32 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 am

I've been looking into the sawtooth oak but it's questional that they'll make it in my area of central wisconsin, anyone have any success in colder climates? I was going to go for the sawtooh but now am leaning towards the chinese chestnut which seems more tolerant of cold winters.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 am

My best advice is to get a second opinion from an expert. I know Don Higgins from Illinois is very, very good. He will be glad to help. He can be reached at don@higginsoutdoors.com. Or, call him at 217-752-6829. Or, check out his web-site higgns tree farm or higgins outdoors. He is in demand so, it might take him a few days to get back to you , because I hope he's with me. Ask him about his "Tube Shelters". They will help the trees grow straight, protect the trees from Deer, Rabbits,etc. And they also act as a miniature greenhouse to help the trees grow faster. Ask for a brochure and check out his 5 year old Persimmon trees, unbelievable.
Don can also work with you to get you enrolled in the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program "WHIP" and get the trees and plant them free if you are within his working area. You should call him, it's well worth it. The plan he's drawn up for my farm keeps me awake at night waiting for things to happen. you'll be amazed at the results.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements