"Self Made" Deer Trail

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
elliot921129

"Self Made" Deer Trail

Postby elliot921129 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 am

I have an issue with our best area on our piece of land in central Wisconsin that I just started observing last year….
The area I am talking about is about a ten acre thick spruce plantation and around on the north and west sides our best food plot is situatued. The only spot that there is an adequate place to hang a set is on the west side because of the wind conditions around October and November and because of finding trees that are large enough. The first few years the deer would always use two trails that cut from the south of the spruce right to the north-west corner, funneling them right in from of this set. However, in the last year that trail has become cut off because the spruce has covered them up and they go from the south to the southwest and work north in the food plot. Would it be a good idea to cut away some of that over growth to divert the deer in the old direction? Has anyone ever had legitimate success with “self-made” deer trails?

ccoutdoors

RE: "Self Made" Deer Trail

Postby ccoutdoors » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am

Yep. And do it now so the deer start using it.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 am

I second that, before the green starts coming in.

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am

I'll third the motion to cut one in and do it NOW. The deer should be quite acclimated to it by hunting season.

Good Luck!

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Absolutely. Using downed trees, brush, etc can be a great way to move deer trails to a more huntable location. "Hinging" trees is another great way to funnel deer. I have also had success in swamps with cutting trails in the cattails for deer. I used a scythe to cut a path through really thick cattails right past my stand...When I returned to hunt this stand 3 months later, my cut path was now a deer highway!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks guys, I have quite a bit of time in the upcoming week and I am going to put it on the top of my priority list!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll sixth that. You might want to block off the alternate trail that they were using too. Good luck. It sounds like a good spot.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 am

I have several Deer trails I've cut thru the woods to funnel Deer...I even go thru at different times to trim them up and to clear away tree's or limbs that have fallen and caused the Deer to change their routes off or away from my hunting spots or stands and some times I just improve their exisiting trails. [;)]

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 am

Wiredtohunt, I am trying your cattail theory sounds like an excellent idea one area I hunt is loaded with them. See how it increases the odds, deer love to bed in them do you clear out a bedding area or just paths? When do you do it typically where I hunt they don't get tall enough till summer?

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:33 pm

I don't think I have ever made a trail to change the direction of deer travel, but I do rake a trail to my stands every year and have noticed over and over that when I rake a trail to my stand that the deer begin to use it and by the second season of hunting that tree, the trail is a prominent deer trail.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements