NO RR Alfalfa or RR Sugarbeets for Foodplots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
sagittarius

NO RR Alfalfa or RR Sugarbeets for Foodplots

Postby sagittarius » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:26 pm

2011 Monsanto Technology Use Guide

Page 22... Planting Limitation: Genuity® Roundup Ready® Alfalfa is not permitted to be planted in any wildlife feed plots.

page 26... Planting Limitation: Genuity ® Roundup Ready® Sugarbeets are not permitted to be planted in any wildlife feed plots.

Monsanto Technology Use Guide 2011
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

sagittarius

RE: NO RR Alfalfa or RR Sugarbeets for Foodplots

Postby sagittarius » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Farmers can plant it, foodplotters cannot. It appears to be due to the risk of cross polination, and having a controled verses uncontroled field.
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Just buy some regular soybeans and sugar beets and plant your own food plot....I don't mix those 2 together anyways?In the Fall around the middle of August or the first of September we plant brassicas,rape,purple top turnips,sugar beets and some winter wheat together.It makes a great mix and a wonderful sea of green leafs for the Deer to eat!

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 pm

sagittarrius,
when is the last time you had someone come check to see what you planted,if i wanted plant to something i would plant it. or you can plant something eles. maybe they deer well come to that better ,you can never tell unless you try.
but we all have follow the rules of the law so don't feel rained on. just have fun with what you have.
jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

ORIGINAL: prohunter
when is the last time you had someone come check to see what you planted,
never.
if i wanted plant to something i would plant it. or you can plant something eles. maybe they deer well come to that better ,you can never tell unless you try.
I also plant field corn, soybeans, white clovers, pumpkins, and in the past many other items. Sugarbeets filled a unique nitch, and were utilized when turnips and brassicas were not. Roundup just makes it easy and cost effective. [;)]
but we all have follow the rules of the law so don't feel rained on. just have fun with what you have.
jim
Yes, we all want to follow the rules, so we are allowed to purchase and plant RR seed into the future. [;)]

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 pm

sagittarius,
so what your saying, is that farmers can plant it but the hunter cant?
if that is the case,ask how big the farm has to be,and what does it take to be a part time farmer? i am not trying to get you mad or anything like that,but maybe you can have system work for you ,instead you work with the system who says that u cant be a farmer too.
jim

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:09 pm

sagittarius, so what your saying, is that farmers can plant it but the hunter cant?
No, that is what Monsanto is saying. [;)]
i am not trying to get you mad or anything like that,but maybe you can have system work for you ,instead you work with the system who says that u cant be a farmer too.
Please don't misunderstand, I am not mad at all, maybe a bit disappointed.[:@] I have many systems that work great for me today. The point is that many foodplotters have been waiting a few years for the RR alfalfa/RR sugarbeet lawsuits to be settled, to possibly plant them once again some day. After planting RR sugarbeets in 2008 and 2009, it is dissappointing to learn that it is not possible to utilize them in 2011 either. [:(]

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

well, ok now i understand and see what your saying. well how long are they going to stay up in the air with this. sounds like a big waste of tax payers funds.
jim

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

ORIGINAL: prohunter well, ok now i understand and see what your saying. well how long are they going to stay up in the air with this.
Partial solutions seldom work out well in the long run, for either party.
ORIGINAL: prohunter sounds like a big waste of tax payers funds.
It is only wasted if environmental integrity is compromised in the end anyway.... [;)]

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Now this is just my opinion and its not meant or directed at anyone in this forum or the seed companies.

We, as a society, and specifically as hunters, need to be aware of what we think is healthy and safe for the environment.  I'm not going to get into the science of things or the world of ethics here, but to put it plainly, when we genetically modify a plant for what we think is best, we are messing with the true unknown.  RR seeds are seeds that have been genetically modified so they can be sprayed and not die from the harmful effects of the spray-that is easy to understand.  But why is that okay to do?  Why kill the less desirable plants-to make more quantity, different quality, (its hard to use the words "better quality" because "better" is hard to define) and in the end the only thing that matters is more money, even for us a hunters who plant plots.

Another simple idea-when we genetically modify food (RR soybeans, corn, sugar beets, alfalfa) what affect/effect does that have on the animals that eat them? (it is a proven fact that RR products/foods have short/long term effects on animals and the quality of their meat). From a hunters stand point, the deer eating those RR food plots are ultimately ending up on our plates at dinner time for our families to consume.  It may taste good, but that doesn't mean its good for us. 

To make it short and sweet-when you mess with genes of any living thing there can and will most likely be long term consequences (there are obvious ones and ones that wont show up for years and generations to come).

We already know about the cross contamination problem with RR products-that has been going on for 20 plus years.  The second problem with cross contamination is that once Monsanto realizes what plants have been contaminated, they own the rights to that plant...FOR LIFE!  That means a couple things-if you plant a food plot of RR corn near a farmers field of non-RR corn and the farmers field gets contaminated/cross pollinated with your corn and Monsanto finds that out, that farmer will have to pay Monsanto big bucks or face a huge lawsuit for producing RR corn that your food plot screwed up!  I know it sounds crazy but 100s if not 1000s of farmers have had it happen to them and they lost everything to Monsanto in a huge lawsuit. 

Then the cross contamination problem continues into the native and non native species of plants and you can see what could happen there. If a non native species became immune to RR spray it could and will spread like fire.

I know this is a lot to chew on but if you get anything from this post at all know this-Monsanto is huge. Bigger than any of us can really understand.  They have political power that is beyond belief.  I recommend the movie Food, Inc. if you want a glimpse into what the seed world is really like and what that can mean for us a hunters and food plotters. 
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements