Planting cornfield using a spreader?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
gunther89

Planting cornfield using a spreader?

Postby gunther89 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Has anybody planted a cornfield using a atv spreader?  I don't have the money to buy a corn planter and the area my cousin and I want to plant a cornfield in we can't get heavy equipment in.  Anybody who has done this, what are the pro's and con's to it.  Any help would be appreciated.
Scott

msbadger

RE: Planting cornfield using a spreader?

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 am

Well I'm sure you've read the posts on my corn planting....so you know that it works...but...you lose a lot of product because
1.) you need to spread more product
2.) The discing/tilling in doesn't bury it all
3.) birds...deer ..raccoon..ect find it.... not only eating surface corn but
     digging it up to eat it...product loss

I have no problems with this ..because I use the 7.99 /50# bags of feed corn with good results...not the $100-$300 dollar bags many ppl use.....I was able to do limited experiment on the RR aspect of feed corn...I sprayed just a single plant...due to animal loss and yes mid July planting....to find the plant survived and grew well after a saturation of Erase...hopefully I will be able to test a larger area early next summer....ground prep..I'm hoping will be much earlier.....
I went on the assumption that most US corn planted now is RR ...that being so...than the product of that genetically altered corn should be the same...also having read of the difficult time farmers are having getting rid of volunteer corn in their rotation crops...even with a late planting the corn developed ears with silk...it was just too late a planting to get fully developed ears before a killing frost in these hills...most plants had 2 ears per plant    

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

The national wild turkey federation gives away free rr corn seed(at least here in ny), so your costs can be lowered a lot. just give a good shot of urea(45-0-0) after it reaches knee high. Its works but you need to seed heavier than a planter would. a 50lbs bag thru a planter might do 2 acres, but brodcast only one....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply msbadger and habitatmanager
Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:40 pm

We did it for the first time this year...I believe its in the WI part but will have to double check. We planted about 2 acres using a spreader and it we planted it in the same area as our beans so we went a little lite on the corn seed. For our mixture we used 20 lbs of rr seed from pheasants forever and went fairly fast on the atv (around 6 or 7mph). I was very happy with the results, the corn may have been a little heavy but turned out pretty good for the way we did it, in my opinion. We used triple 19 fertilizer at about 200 lb per acre. The beans also fix Nitrogen which in turn helps the corn out. I think the biggest reason we got so lucky was because of all the rain we got this past summer, in our sandbox, its hard to grow corn.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Yes, I would agree with what's been said that you can prob get it to grow but you might lose more seed than you normally would.  Are you planning on spreading it then turning it over a bit somehow so some dirt is covering it?

Goose, did you get that seed for free from PF? 
QDM!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 am

We were considering disking the ground up and then spreading the corn and then rolling it.  Again we have never planted corn like this, so I'm not sure if that's how you would do it or not.
Scott

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 am

Well, that's your next best option if you can't get a drill in there to put it deeper in the soil.  If you can, I would disc it, rake it to make a good seed bed, spread the seed, then lightly disc it and rake it again.  The lightly discing it at the end should put it in the ground to a sufficient level.
QDM!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 am

Ok thanks buckhunter.  I wish we could get heavy equipment into this area but its just about impossible to do that.
Scott

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 am

Might be a honey-hole if you can't get any big equipment in there 'eh? [:D]  Are you using an ATV disc?  When you lightly disc it I would just raise the blades up a bit and go over it that way.
QDM!

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements