Planting cornfield using a spreader?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
gunther89

RE: Planting cornfield using a spreader?

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:41 am

We can get a tractor disc in this area but the people who run our land have huge machinery and you would have to cross a creek that they wouldn't be able to fit through.   
Scott

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 am

We've broadcast sunflowers before with good results, should be similar to corn. I think buckhunter is on to something because you need to get the seed deep enough for it to be effective after it's spread. We use a length of chain link fence with a tractor tire on top of it and I think it helps get the seed a bit deeper to get better germination. The fence is about 8 feet long, put the tractor tire on top and wire it on, you could use anything that is heavy and can be attached to the fence so it doesn't roll off, it seems to work the seed into the dirt better, then we pack it with our roller.

msbadger, I really like the idea of using the cheaper feed corn for food plots, but I wonder if there's any way to tell how many days it takes for the corn to mature. One of the more popular corn seeds used up North here are a 90 day maturity kind because our growing season can be pretty short. I know some are 120 day too, and I don't think it'd work for this area.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:07 pm

No, we got it cheap though...$22 per 50 I believe.

That's what we did. Disked it up, seeded it, disked it lightly, then cultipacked it.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:53 am

You guys are lucky to be in the Mid west corn belt[;)]...and free corn from the WT FED. here in NY...well I need to write that down and check it out ...Thanks....When I plant... I disc it up first ..to make furrows for the corn or beans to drop into...then drag the harrow across those to bury the seed...hhmm sorta like (+)...I could use a roller after...might help[:)]

That feed corn does pretty well seeing the plantings I've managed thus far have gone in the ground mid July...I also find that the deer here really like eating the plant it's self...even at 3ft height...like last year I'll say...hoping to get a planting in early spring ...but well ...hope springs eternal[;)]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Never used feed corn.  How well does that work and what is the main difference?  Can't imagine that stuff is RR though is it?  Always looking for cheaper seed.

Goose, that is pretty cheap. 
QDM!

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Feed corn is seed that hasen been sorted and graded for planter plate sizes. It also has not been tested for germination(easy enought to do put 100 kernels in a shallow plate lying on wet paper towel cover with another keep in a warm place and keep moist, uncover an cout the kernals that have started to germinate) you can do the same with sunflower seeds. you can use it but there are so many organizations that give out free seed n.w.t.f , safari club. phesants forever, whitetails unlimited, that is certified seed usually coated with an inocculant and fungicide. That if i am going to spend the gas and time i want my seed to come up and be as healthy as can be. If you don't have acess to these free seed programs by all means doing something is better thandoing nothing!!

bioactive

Postby bioactive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am

Ed Spinazzola's book covers broadcasting corn and beans, and if I remember, he shows how to do it in his video:

Available from QDMA Shed here: http://www.theshed-qdma.com/store.php

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 pm

I've had good success broadcasting corn seed with a hand spreader (bag type). Prepared ground, seeded and then disked and packed. As for planting feed grade corn I tried that this year for first time and germination was terrible - a complete waste of time and fuel. The fellow at the co-op here explained it depends on how fast or hot the corn get's dried will dictate the germination - not sure exactly but my understanding was some times it can work and other times not so well.

I really like the germination test you described habitat manager - that's a great idea!

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements