winter forage....

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

winter forage....

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 am

So whats been keeping them alive?...The deer here left the food plots in January...snow cover was just too deep.....they have taken most of the Elderberry brush...6-8ft tall in fall down to a foot.....some of the bramble still had a little green frozen leaf and a good amount of bud to eat and the multi floral rose had berries.....When the snow receded a few times they had a bit of bare field edge and digging was easier.....the fern crowns have been hit hard and they have taken to rotting logs with moss.....This and they are still very healthy....Today we are having another melt...so I went out to see what they were eating ...wish I knew the name of this grass ...It has been their main stay all winter...sorry of pic quality...it was foggy and raining

What keeps them going in your area?

Patriot

RE: winter forage....

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm

My in laws farm borders some public land. The public land has an unharvested bean field this year. Most of the beans are gone now though.

Woody browse I would guess is all that's left. A few bushes in the area have some kind of berry that seems to be attracting the deer these days.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:05 am

Thank heavens there has been a couple of melts.....we actually had a lot of green field yesterday and the woods were still a bit over ankle deep...I went out again and cut tree limbs....In the first pic I've mentioned that many of the twigs you see were 6-8ft elderberry brush this past fall....notice the picture of the same area a few days ago...Thankfully the have left enough stem with buds for regrowth...this is the same area as the grass pics above...by the way any of you know the name of that grass? 

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Could that be Timothy or Johnson Grass MSBadger?...I saw some in a clover feild I crossed to go Coyote Hunting and thats what the Land Owner said it was!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 am

GTO ...we are bordered on  one side by old pasture and hay fields...your probably correct on the Johnson grass...It's never been able to grow more than 8 inches in our woods so I couldn't tell....the open field a bit down hill is loaded with timothy ...Oh boy that's difficult to get rid of ...when planting corn....Johnson grass is in the sorghum family from what I've read...explains why they flock to it[;)] 

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 pm

I can see here i see a lot of eating the lichens and mosses late season...even bark....we have quite a few of the locust trees that have the huge thorns,and when they drop those been snaps they paw them out and hit em pretty hard.

One problem on a small prop. that i hunt is late season they bed on this ridge edge soaking up the sun and eating those locust beans ...literally 3 ft from my stand..no way of getting to them they have an entire field of view of the entire property...so i simply hunt another area late season.

Sometimes i can sneak in early mornings but i hate pushing even one deer...i hate that sound.

I can't reitterate enough like you had already stated MS- badger about natural forage...i think a lot can be accomplished by clearing around good mast trees...and clearing the canopy of elms and other disease prone trees to let the light penetrate the undergrowth...than sometimes just clearing the top layer of leaves,and scoring the top layer of soil with a metal rake is enough. You can accomplish a lot with just a chainsaw,and a rake.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 am

I agree...my Stihl pruning saw and DR mower beaver blade are worn to a frazzle[;)]...We also have a couple of small stands of blk locust...ours only flower and produce pods every other year but the deer and turkey hang in them.

The deer have been able to hit the hay field in front of us now...our woods are still deep with snow ....they were in the field four hours yesterday afternoon...scattered all around noses to the ground 

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements