plot variety

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

plot variety

Postby msbadger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:05 am

Someone asked on another forum about this....thought I'd mention resualts of this years plantings....I planted..

Succraseed...high sugar rye, orchard grass,clovers....then turnips and corn with turnips thrown in the bare spots.....deer are still hitting this hard

Upper field had soybeans with volunteer buckwheat and then winter rye ...turnips..and left some of the soybeans with rye thrown over...they are still hitting this as well.....

This year with the intro of soybeans...I had the most and biggest buck I have ever seen on our land...didn't get one on the ground but took two fat doe and still made for GREAT hunting....2 tens...5 eights and many many spike and 4pters...the season is over but there are still a lot of young buck hanging around hitting the succra seed and remaining turnip bulbs

bowboxer

RE: plot variety

Postby bowboxer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 am

i have tried shot plot two times and have know luck, the food plots i plant are 20 yard by 5 yards.deer will eat the soybean before in even get started, i am going to plant clover,chicory,and bird foot trefiol. what do you think about that.you think it work good.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Bow boxer....I have a few plot mixes like that and the deer luv them...they take them down to dirt each fall....I add to that mix small Burnett...it's a good evergreen plant that deer like....something in the mix to have them hit in the winter...only thing I personally find is perennial plots ...for me.... take a bit more work to keep them in good shape for enough years to off set the cost...weed control is an issue with such a mix for you are combining a broad leaf with the legumes...spaying for weed control becomes an issue...but hey...it brings them in for sure...good luck  

easports

Postby easports » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:06 pm

msbadger

Sound like the food plots worked out well for you this year...way to go! I have a question for you regarding the Succraseed. I was thinking about planting it for this season but never got around to purchase the product. The areas that you planted the succraseed, what were the PH levels and how big were the plots?

I also planted turnips but Bio-Logic mix called "Winter Bulbs and Sugar Beets". Because of the size of the plots and amount of deer, the product only grew to approx. 5" out of the ground. The deer ate the tops off but there are no signs of them digging up any bulbs. I haven’t dug up a remaining plant but am sure the plant did not develop a bulb big enough to act as an attractant.

I want to use the Succraseed for the 2011 season but I'm not sure how much of an attractant it will create for the early bow season.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 am

easport...the Sucraseed had the deer browsing ...mainly for the clover...at first....then I saw the grasses being eaten.....There was two small areas 10x10-15 yrds and then a 1/2 acre worth of trails planted....I chose the beef bank because of the price and the shaded area I planned on planting...much less expensive that the sweetspot they sell for deer...I needed to see if it would grow well before investing in a better seed MIX...now the deer have been digging in the snow for it and after this last thaw I see it has little die back....high sugar ryes are not as winter hardy...so with cold temps coming back ...with low snow cover(insulation ) I'll have to see how well it survived hard freeze through the winter until spring....Regardless...I  have another bag ready to be planted this spring....what I will be doing is frost seeding the established areas with more clovers and a little chicory...as you've seen from the photos ...it grew huge clover leaf with a med stem...I planted the small areas next to where I had the soybean/turnips and the corn/ turnips....when having turnips ...it's important to have other browse near bye to off set the gorging deer will do in turnips...similar to what one should do if planting Sudan grasses.....the sucraseed grows fast so I mowed a few times in order to get the clovers in it growing well...In the fall I mowed half down and left half high to check on what effect both methods will have as far as spring growth...This is the first year experiment time...so far very pleased....the ph in all these areas were very good 6 range....for I'd been liming for years....To see what you really want as far as attraction.... go to the web site and read the product descriptions....they put exactly what and the % of what they put in each mix...I personally chose this to try because I could see that it was a perennial I could work with and tweak down the road with little work ...after the initial planting...also something that would take a good...light fall over seeding of what ever...turnips...wheat..rye and still stay in good shape for spring fawning and turkey...first green up

good luck on what ever you choose to plant...have fun...Badger

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 am

I checked camera today to see how it did when temps dropped to -13...Well one...it stopped showing temp at some point and trigger speed really slowed down ...but pics I got.... and This is the Sucraseed planting...I have a bag and a half left and it is so going in this spring!....In the one pic ...I'm thinking we have Babies on board[:D]...either that or they are dang fat for this time of year and these temps[;)]

Goldghostwine

Postby Goldghostwine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 am

Succraseed...high sugar rye, orchard grass,clovers....then turnips and corn with turnips thrown in the bare spots.....deer are still hitting this hard

Upper field had soybeans with volunteer buckwheat and then winter rye ...turnips..and left some of the soybeans with rye thrown over...they are still hitting this as well.....

This year with the intro of soybeans...I had the most and biggest buck I have ever seen on our land...didn't get one on the ground but took two fat doe and still made for GREAT hunting....2 tens...5 eights and many many spike and 4pters...the season is over but there are still a lot of young buck hanging around hitting the succra seed and remaining turnip bulbsRIVER goes by!WIND runs by!BABY you~pass by without why!
Cheap Maplestory Mesos
RS Gold
Buy WoW Gold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements