Late Beans

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

Late Beans

Postby Blazed » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:10 pm

I remember some one planting beans late to attract deer to the succulent sprout early during bowseason. Did that work? I am thinking of planting some RR early protecting them somehow. Until they are at about 2'. Then I'll let dthe deer wipe them out. Then again in the fall I'll plant another rouynd of RR so they sprout during early season, hoping to get my earn a buck doe. I'll also put in Rape since they don't get to the turnips because they are snow covered.

I did have groundhog radish in this year and they dug through 3' of snow and dug them out of the ground. However they were nocturnal at that time and I did not see a late season deer.

However the deer did come out in daylight for the beens that were left from early season, and rape.

gunther89

RE: Late Beans

Postby gunther89 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:01 pm

I know a guy that did that this past year and he said it worked great.  He said he had a green bean field for bow hunting and the deer were in it too.  We also are planning to plant beans late, sometime in July.
Scott

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am

Check out www.realworldwildlifeseed.com
I've heard these beans are great for the deer and do not split and end up on the ground like conventional beans.

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Has anyone tried triticale in Wisconsin. We've had good luck with Buck Forage oats but we're always trying to tweak things. Also, how about the forage oats from Wildgame Inovations; they're quite a bit cheaper than BFO.

whtail101

Postby whtail101 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Well... heres my 2 cents. Go with Eagle forage beans. You can plant them in the spring and they will stay green until you get a couple of hard freezes. They are not for example.. an 80 day bean. They dont brown out when ready for harvest. If the deer are hitting them, it wont kill them. They will regenerate. I planted them for the first time last spring and they were green until mid-late october. They are a very tall bean... mine were about 5 feet tall by late august. They are a little more expensive but... if you were considering 2 plantings they are still gonna be cheaper I'm guessing. Check out Eagleseed.com. I am definitely going to be using them again. Hope this helped.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements