bow season planting

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
bowboxer

bow season planting

Postby bowboxer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 am

what is the best bow season planting, what seeds is best to plant to hunt for bow season, and when to plant it.

bowman12

RE: bow season planting

Postby bowman12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Rye has always worked well for our bow season in N MN.

I had a guy in the office this year and he was planting soybeans in August for bow season. I asked him if it was too late, and he said it's a bow only plot because they don't mature to seed pods, but the deer love the greens during early bow season. After first frost it's done because the leaves fall off.

I think I'd be interested in doing a late bean and rye, wheat, or oats mix so after the first frost you'd still have a plot left. They'd probably leave the grass alone until after first frost because I'm assuming they'd prefer the beans first.

fairlane

Postby fairlane » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 pm

I tried soybeens in one of my food plot locations and planted them in the spring and was very happy with the activity at the plot but it was small and they turned pretty early and were gone fast.I think planting them latter in colder regions would probubly work better if your not able to plant a couple of acres worth.And next time I will add turnip in with them to hope fully keep them coming after they are done.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm

North west pa basically on ny boarder snow fall is sick we get at least 3ft on the ground by rifle best bet is corn then. Early season is Apple trees no matter what I plant the apples hold them early and corn keeps them through the winter. Like I said when the snow comes deep corn is the only thing they can get to.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am

I Bow Hunt also and to draw the Deer in close for a shot I plant clover along the Field Edge's,Logging Roads and small area's that lead into the big woods.In the Fall around the middle of August or the first of Sept we also plant Brassicas,Rape and Turnip seeds out in the food plots,one food plot we have in a bottom field has woods on the left side and far end.This is where I have a ladder stand at the far end where the Deer come out of the woods in the early mornings and late evenings,I also have several tree's along the side of the food plot where I can set up a ladder stand or climber also.Another thing to draw Deer in is putting out a mineral lick and salt lick if allowed in your State?It can be difficult trying to plant a food plot close enough to where You can set up a stand to bow hunt out of but if You know where the Deer are bedding and traveling from it can work out by picking the right spot.Deer like seclusions so if You can plant a food plot where there is good cover all around they will feel more secure coming out to feed during shooting hours! [;)]

In the Spring time we usually plant wheat or foraging oats for the Deer and Turkey,then after the same food plots dwindle down we will plant the Brassicas,Rape and Purple-top Turnips in late Season,some times we throw in a little sugar beets and winter wheat to help the food plot thicken up and the wheat usually last until the following Spring.

SolocamXtreme

Postby SolocamXtreme » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

alot of people says beans. its more important to have food plots. deer crave more on green paches than dry beans. beans are only good in the summer. its their crop of choice at that time. id recomend a field or strip of whitetail institute clover and chicory. there perenials. thell last for four-five years without reseeding. its more of a benifit than beans,corn and anual food plots. because its the deers lifetime food supply. it provides them in the spring-winter over and over

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

hey boxer,
here in middle tn they are planting alot of green beans and the deer tear them up ,i think i would plant some about a month or two before seanon opener,about the same time as you plant your soy beans for a late season plot,the green beans will good and green before accorns are falling good. and they should be on them beans hard by then.
the beans they here plant are bush beans ,i dont where you live but you can also try some surgar beets. jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements