need to attract deer only 14 doing thismyself

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
littleguybig hunter

need to attract deer only 14 doing thismyself

Postby littleguybig hunter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:14 pm

hello im 14 i need help attracting deer plz help me need somthing easy doing this all by myself
aim good shoot strait

USN_Sam1385

RE: need to attract deer only 14 doing thismyself

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:42 pm

You from Missouri??

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum!

50 lbs of corn buddy, can't go wrong! Just kidding, it's an option but not always the best or legal in most states.

Keep in mind, how you hunt pretty much boils down to two styles:

Alter the deer's behavior to bring them close enough to shoot: baits, calls, food plots, scents, etc, etc. It sounds like that's what you want to do and with a few more details on your hunting area there are lots of hunters on here that can give you lots of ideas.

Not altering the deer's behavior: You simply set yourself up so that the deer's travel patterns, bedding area, food source, etc are close enough to your setup that you can get a shot.

Both are fun ways to hunt and in alot of cases people feel they need to draw the deer in, but instead, hunt the deer you already have by setting up on what they're already doing.

littleguybig hunter

Postby littleguybig hunter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 pm

yes sir

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm

ORIGINAL: littleguybig hunter

yes sir

What part of Missouri you from? Season is over now. Baiting is illegal.

How many acres you have to hunt?? There is snow on ground right now, and next season is 8 months away. Go into the woods. The tracks are like a map pointing you EXACTLY where the deer are coming from, going to, etc. On the properties I hunt there is deer sign everywhere in the woods, so I find the heaviest travel routes and choke points.

Generally I find that low fences, low spots in creeks, etc. are covered in deer trails right now. either way, get in the woods before this snow melts and find you some tracks. 10 minutes of tracking in the snow can tell you more than 2 weeks worth of scouting in the summer, and it will disturb the deer much less. Not to mention they have 8 mos. to forget about you.

littleguybig hunter

Postby littleguybig hunter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:54 am

thank you for the info i live around scot county (the boot hill 15 min from cape) i havbout 7 8 acers to hunt including one big open spot might make a food plot and a pond put a deer cam up yesterday my neighbor runs alot of them of though and shoots them illgealy including a 8 pointer that i had been scounting bou 1 mile off his propertyin conservation on a 4 wheeler cant do anything got a six this year and if u know anything bout shed hunting can u inform me on that doing this by myself mostly for now my dad loves hunting and fishing but has to work alot and when hes of he has stuff to do so need all the info i can get going to teach my dog to hunt not sure wat yet mabesqurill lookin for free info all sights i look at cost money so how bout there habitat can i grow somthing that they like to bed or stay in

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Don't worry about food plots, mineral licks, etc. While it may bring in more deer, it is not worth the money spent on it, IMO. Especially not at your age. The money could be used other ways.

Here is what you should focus on.

1. If your neighbor continues to poach, trespass, etc. talk to your father about it, and you two may possibly need to contact the Missouri Department of Conservation.

2. Get a book or 2 from the library about hunting whitetails, and focus on learning as much as you can about their behavior, patterns, biology, etc.

3. Study tracks as well as you can. We probably have 4 or 5 more snows coming. Use any time that it snows to learn the movement patters of the deer on your 8 acres.

Do you hunt with bow or just rifle???

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Put out a salt block now (about $4.00-$5.00) and earlier this Spring add a little mineral lick,it will draw the Deer in and the Deer will use the salt all year long.If You have a decent mowed field edge or even a logging road I would get a few pounds of Ladino,Red or White clover and wait til about the end of Feb or the first of March and do a little frost seeding by hand...the ground with thaw and re-freze a few times and draw the seed into the ground and the clover will get an early start in the Spring.You could also buy a little Throw & Gro and frost seed that too.I do that every Spring and over a few years there is a nice green path of clover along the field,roads and logging road area's....its cheap and easy if You don't have the equipment to break up the ground!

Even the small things add up to help draw Deer onto Your property,maybe even plant a few Apple tree's...check with Your Dad and make sure its Ok to do any of this I mentioned! [:)] [;)]

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements