Beets

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
jr 1968

Beets

Postby jr 1968 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:29 am

Hi Guys,
I asked this question in another section and maybe the wrong one.
So I'll ask here. Would planting beets be better than Turnips?
Because it seems from all that I read deer don't hit turnips until it really gets cold.

Thanks,
jr 1968

bmstaaf

RE: Beets

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 am

Well where are you from? I am from north west pa corn is the candy crop here late season. we get too much snow to fast makes it hard to dig. We have a lot of Apple trees so the deer kill the apples until they are gone. After apples are gone mid November that's when the deer kill all of my plots. during rifle fresh cut corn brings in 100's of deer easy meal for two or three weeks. Guess where I am going it depends on your area trial and error is how I did it. Clover and turnips is what I plant kill plots for archery and that works, look at the big picture when deciding. Deer get lazy and will choose the easy meal when the weather changes. I will tell you this what food plot works in one area might not work in another as effecrive. Timing is crucial, make a list of what the natural foods are in the area and determine when they deplete then do trial and error. Took me years but it is worth it.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 pm

hey jr1968,
i would plant both, plant the sugar beets in the sping , and turnips in the fall. you can also plant some winter wheat ,the deer love the small grass as it is coming up.
i would try a strip of this and that to see what they want. and watch it if you can during the off season ,this can really help for fall planting , but i find soy beans are the best for a late season food plot.
jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I think the Deer will only hit the Sugar Beets til they get bigger....the Turnips Tops will get hit all Season long and even more until a good frost then they will get browsed on heavier from then out.From what I've seen the Sugar Beets I planted the tops don't get as tall as the Turnips do?Another thing we plant is the Brassicas and Rape which has the nice tall green tops to browse on but not the big bulb like Turnips and Sugar beets?I can tell You after the Nov. Rifle Season the Deer in our area cleaned up all the Turnips and Sugar Beet bulbs from the food plots!....so any late season Bow Hunting or Muzzle Loader Hunting would work great too! [;)]

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements