new land

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
timba

new land

Postby timba » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello every one,I've been hanging around the site for a while doing lots of reading and love it.
I just bought 13 acres of land in norther saskatchewan that is solid trees(poplar and spruce)I would like to put in a couple small food plots but not sure what or were on the property.I'm going to cut a couple open spots this spring.I need some thing easy that I can do by hand.I would probably hunt the area in oct or nov.the land to the south of mine is just a pasture that has horses in it.

GTOHunter

RE: new land

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Well I wrote a nice long reply and got dis-connected,so here it goes again! [8|]

On the left side I see what looks like a path/road from the pasture thru the woods to what I'm thinking is a stream/creek?There's a clearing there that would work very well as a food plot,You can put up a ladder stand or blind on the edge and get a good close shot at any Deer feeding or passing thru?Actually I would put out several plots along the stream where it will get a decent amount of sunlight and put up different stands to hunt out of,maybe even facing a stand or 2 towards the woods where the Deer may try to slip thru out of sight!Not sure if the body of water gets out of its banks but thats the gamble worth trying and the Deer will have food,cover and water...who could ask for anything more? [:D] [;)]

Next thing is to figure out what to plant...?I suggest any type of Foraging Oats/Wheat or my favorite is the Brassicas,Rape,Turnips or Sugar Beets!The Whitetail Institute makes some great blends to consider for planting especially for lasting into cold weather Hunting like the "Tall Tine Tubers" that are 3 different types of hardy turnips and the "Winter Greens" which will be the Brassicas/Rape and they will make it into cold snowy weather.Looks like You have a great spot to hunt in and those tree's are worth their weight in gold in my opinion!

Oh yeah...I hope there's a fence dividing the timber and future food plots to keep the Horse from eating or trampling them down? [&:] [8|] 

timba

Postby timba » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 am

Awesome thanks for the help,there is a fence to keep the horses out and the creek I dont think will ever run over the banks.I can wait to get out there this spring and do some work.

timba

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Your welcome Timba,if You can do a little late-season Scouting in the Winter time it will help You see where the Deer are traveling,it may change in the Spring,Summer and Fall seasons but will give You an idea of where they move the most!If You find any scrapes or rub lines those will be used each year and are good to note and keep track of!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:02 pm

what on earth are all of the squiggly lines...

your property goes from the river to the pasture?

That looks like a prime piece of land right there, I bet you are excited.

How will you be entering the property? That would play a huge role in where I would want plots, openings, stands and bedding areas.

Also what are the predominant winds for that area? Are you going to be bow or rifle hunting?

I have a pretty good idea of what I would do with that property...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Congrats on the property!
Some won't agree, but if I'm not mistaken you can winter feed. I'd be very curious about the caliber of the deer so I'd get a bail of alfalfa or some kind of feed and put it in a good spot with a trail camera. Sure would be fun to see what kind of animals are in the area.
I'd also hunt it as low key as possible.

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 pm

cut an acer clearcut in the aspen in the winter!!!!!! and you will have a combination buffet-hotel grow up in the spring larger would be better. find a logger to do it and plow the cash back into the land!
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements