Starting a Plot-Basic Questions

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
wisbooner3932

Starting a Plot-Basic Questions

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:59 am

I'm looking to start a food plot or 2 on my Grandpa's farm next spring but don't have any experience with this type of thing.  I have a couple areas in mind but there also a few problems with them.  Keep in mind that I'm a college student and am gonna drop half my savings on a new bow in a couple weeks so money will be limited.  We do however, have a couple 4 wheelers and a small disk (about 4-5 feet wide).  

This is probably covered somewhere else in this forum but I was unable to find it while glancing over posts, my appologies if thats the case.  The question is: the area that would be optimal for a plot is also an area of heavy and tall grass/weed growth, how do you go about clearing them and ensuring they dont grow back?

That same area is also pretty wet, which is why the farmers that rent out the land quit planting it.  Not because it didn't produce good or large quantities of corn/soybeans but because they would get their equipment stuck which would turn into a big hassle for them.  Because of the wetness, is there a specicfic crop you would recomend?  Like I said, the farmers got a pretty decent crop when they planted corn/soybeans so if all else fails I'll just plant either of them.

Another area I'm considering for a plot has the same grass/weeds problem but is also considerably sandy.  What would you recomend to plant there?  

Thanks.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

JackS

RE: Starting a Plot-Basic Questions

Postby JackS » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:50 pm

First thing I would do is spray a vegatqtion killer (Round-up) at least two weeks prior to disking and planting. This should kill off any unwanted plants.
 Then I would go to the local feed store and find out what's going to be able to grow in the conditiond you have for the area.
 Just my $.02

Jack

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I agree with JackS.  I would if you could mow the grass/weeds down as far as you can go.  Then spray round up on it and wait a week or 2. 

I have heard clover does well in wet soil.  This could be a great plot for the deer as it would green up early in the spring and also be a good early season plot for hunting.
Scott

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Seeing this is your Gramps farm...I take it your looking long term....If this area hasn't been planted in a while ..you need to consider this...weed and grass seeds...they can stay viable for years and years and frost heaving has buried many of them...if your limited on funds now...I'd personally stay away from perennial plantings this year....once you cut...spray wait and disc...your bringing up all those dormant weed seeds and they will grow wonderfully...so...I personally would let them grow a bit and hit the area again with weed killers...wait a couple of weeks and plant an annual...which is less money...putting the funds into what ever lime and fertilizer a soil sample suggests...doing the work up front will pay off later on plots are something that can help a persons patience grow[;)]....You'd want to go with something different than what the farmer puts in......

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Depending on what part of the country u are in I would shoot for planting some type of brassica late summer / early fall. That would give u a chance to get ground worked up good and weeds under control with some round-up applications. Also as you will undoubtedly hear/read, get some idea of what kind of soil your working with in terms of nutrients and pH. You'll likely need to get some lime down if you can. Long term clover is good in moist conditions and maybe some alfalfa in your sandy soil area. When it's all said and done though, I love having brassicas around during hunting season. Have fun,

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks for your input guys.  Is there any special type of Roundup you'd reccomend or are they all pretty much the same?  I believe we have a sprayer to attach to our 4-wheeler so that'll definately come in handy.  Thanks again!
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 pm

The best thing you can do is educate yourself first!!!! I wasted a lot of time and money in the first year of owning my land!!! where are the deer bedding? what is the soil structure? you mentioned sandy, sandy loam with some organic matter? what is the rainfall? what season are you hunting? only bow? what are the neighbors doing, are they farmers or hunters? I would save my money and hunt the first year to see what is happening. the best thing you can do now is buy the book ultimate deer food plots by Ed Spinazzola. he is a farmer turned food plot guru. I have attended seminars at his farm as well as worn out his book and his big thing is doing food plots with minimal equipment in Michigan where we have mostly sandy-sandy loam soil. I invested about 300 in a backpack sprayer strap on spreader roundup lime  fertilizer and seeds and created a very nice food plot. the quad and disk are the cherry on the cake!!!  read young grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!! a chainsaw and gallon of gas can also create some very nice food-cover combination in a afternoon especially if you have aspen-popple growing!!! cut it in the winter and get ready next 5-7 years of good hunting.
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements