Drainage problems-HELP!

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
wisbooner3932

Drainage problems-HELP!

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:53 am

Well I no sooner got done posting a topic on starting a food plot when I remembered another problem on my Grandpa's farm.  The neighbor dug a new ditch across the road a few years back, and since its been dug our fields have been flooding worse than they ever in the 70+ years the lands been in our family.  Because of this, the farmer that rents the land is constantly getting stuck and it becomes a real pain in the hind end for them.  My Grandpa is starting to get really worried that they won't renew the contract next year and they pay a large sum of his taxes so it could turn into a raw deal for us.  So now I've come to ask for your help/opinions. 

My Grandpa's farm is all flat and across the road is a hill slanting directly towards my Grandpa's.  It's kind of hard to explain the situation so I sketched it up on google earth quick, it looks kind of confusing at first but it's relatively simple, to me anyways.  The blue is the areas that flood, the arrows are the direction the water flows, not necesarrily the exact routes.  Ditches run north/south on both the east and west ends of the property but there is also a "clogged" ditch that runs through the middle of the marsh, I don't know if clogged is the word for it but its basically just overgrown with marsh grass and the like.  Do you think opening this back up would have much of an effect?  My Grandpa talked to the land conservation department and they said since its a previous ditch it can by opened back up, but like many of you know I'm sure, you can't dig new ditches into the marsh because its classified as wetlands.   That was my Grandpa's suggestion anyways, I don't think it would have much of an affect because the water still needs to get to the ditch somehow. 

I'm sure the map looks really confusing, again my appologies.

Are there any other suggestions?  It's kind of a delicate situation with the marsh right there so I'm not sure if there's much we can do, legally anyways.  Thanks! 
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

bowman12

RE: Drainage problems-HELP!

Postby bowman12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I'd definitely get the clogged ditch open, it's got to help some. I'd also talk to the farmers to see what they think. I'm sure they know the land well and they'd probably be willing to help with equipment. They must like the property for farming so I'm sure they'd pitch in or at least give some insight into correctly draining it, most farmers have dealt with draining problems at some time.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements