do mineral licks work?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

do mineral licks work?

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 pm

i was wondering if i should buy a mineral lick for the property that im going to be hunting on. do they really help increase the antler mass and the deer size?
muzzysquirrel

bowboxer

RE: do mineral licks work?

Postby bowboxer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 pm

i think they are going to attract deer but mass i don't know. i use rack up. it is full of antler growing stuff but i don't know if i really helps that much. i really like protein blocks. me and my brother started putting protien blocks out and seen more deer than last and more bucks, now i am not sure if it had anything to do with the blocks.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Why buy it when you can make your own for alot cheaper.  Check out this thread. 

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=202

My buddy and I will try this method.  We have bought them in the past and deer just ate it up.  He has two holes dug by deer trying to get to the minerals.  StumpLicker works well also, we poured some on a stump and they have half the stump chewed up.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 pm

I gave up on licks several years ago. For one, I do not buy the notion that you can produce a B&C class buck by tossing out a lick. Secondly, I think that the attraction is only temporary and not a reliable indication of hunting success. But the real reason I stopped using them was that I have serious concerns about anything that encourages "nose to nose" or close contact between deer. I have seen too many things written about the potential this has for disease transmission.

As a steward of the land, my first mission is to do no harm. Licks seem to increase the risk of doing just that.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am

Don't expect a mineral lick to give you big antlers.  What it will do is attract deer, starting in March, and hold them until about August or early September.  Mostly what you're going to get is doe, but that's okay.  Doe become habituated to feeding and bedding near the lick and they stay into Fall and become bait for the bucks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am

yes they work, what ever you do mix it in the dirt if it's a rock break it up and wet keep from spreading diesease they eat the dirt
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

BamaHunter

Postby BamaHunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

They do work to attract the deer for sure.  If the lick contains mainly calcium it cannot help but to benefit some to antlers.  The debate is how much and to what extent.  This is a photo of a lick found our property this year.  We just recently acquired this land that had been previously leased and managed by Realtree for 10+years.  I would think those guys would only do things to benefit the herd.  All the deer we have seen on this property are very healthy and the bucks all have better than average mass (for our area of AL) even spikes we have seen.  I know this also has alot to do with genes.  We have not freshened it at all.  This hole is ~2'D x 2'w x 5'L.  I do not know what they started this lick with but the deer love it.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

Don't expect a mineral lick to give you big antlers.  What it will do is attract deer, starting in March, and hold them until about August or early September.  Mostly what you're going to get is doe, but that's okay.  Doe become habituated to feeding and bedding near the lick and they stay into Fall and become bait for the bucks.

^ Exactly my take on the subject.

I've kept out a mineral block behind my house and the deer absolutely wear it out in Spring & Summer, not so much in Fall & Winter. We used some deer cocaine powder in a couple of spots at the lease that got a lot of traffic, but didn't hunt over them. They were in the sanctuary area of the property that we leave alone.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

thank you all for your opinions. it will be interesting to experiment with the homemade mix and the blocks you find at gander mtn.
muzzysquirrel

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I put out a salt block and home made mineral lick on our Farm,the Deer use it and its good for them.This year I started to use "Lucky Buck" that a Friend of mine uses that raises Deer and he said it has helped in antler mass a lot and the mineral content is more than most minerals out there on the market.We plan on putting some on our Hunting Lease for the next few years to see if it helps?

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements