help with plot

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MD Lease

help with plot

Postby MD Lease » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:25 am

We lease 300 acres in Belmont County, Oh. I have a food plot approximately 150 yds long and 20 yds wide. We plant half of it with brassicas with great success. As soon as the first frost hits the deer devour it. However the other half is planted with Imperial Clover. The clover is healthy and looks very good, however the deer never even so much as look at it. Recently Charlie Alsheimer said if he could plant one food plot it would be planted with clover. Well the deer on my property couldn't disagree more. What is the problem here?

motorbreaker

RE: help with plot

Postby motorbreaker » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:43 am

Where I hunt the farmer has plenty of clover, The deer seem to visit it the most
after it has been cut, When it is tall I dont see them in it much.
I have a couple of plots next to the clover with soybeans in them, The deer
eat the beans so fast that they cant get big, They just keep eating the beans
down to nubs. I would try soybeans, Although you will have the same problem
unless you make a larger plot, Like I will be doing next year. Jake

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 am

I have a couple of clover plots as well that I would say I spend more time mowing than the deer do eating and often wonder why it is so highly regarded myself. I guess every situation is different? If you're not mowing that will make it even less attractive to the deer. I have started to scale back the amount of clover I have planted year round to try and find a balance as to how much I need to maintain. Bean are a great options as said b4

hawkeye642

Postby hawkeye642 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 am

mdlease, I am experiencing the same thing.  My clover field was 8-14 inches tall as of a week ago.  I mowed it back to 8 inches.  I have read that this is the height to mow it back to.  I have a field that still has many flowers on the clover at this height.  I have one doe that visits daily and another one that is there sporadically.  I have neighbors that have large lawns and there are numerous deer eating the grass.  They have more activity than I do.  I keep telling myself that there is so much food in the woods because of the ample rain that they must be getting their fill.  I am hopeful that when the temperatures start to drop into the 60's they will start hitting the clover harder. I understand if I mow, fertilize or add some lime this well sweeten the plot.  I live in the Upper Peninsula, there is little to no farming up here.  This clover field in my area should be the only buffet bar for a mile or more.  If anyone can shed some light on this I would be interested to hear it!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 am

Do you have a lot of other agriculture plots around you?  Just a thought, but what could be the case is that the deer have a lot of clover to pick and choose from in the area so they won't hammer your clover as much.  This may not be the case, but again if it is, try to plant something different that isn't available much in the area.  Variety is good!
QDM!

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:08 am

Md lease ,i have been planting food plots for along time now but they are in the size of hay feilds.But the size does'nt matter, its whats in it that counts.
Try to plant soy beans and millet,clover is your choice i add some not much 1/2 pound per acre of land the deer and turkeys love this mix. The millet will die off first but the soy beans will grow longer and make a great late season area.
I plant these feilds like this for hay for horses and cattle. Even after i cut the hay off they keep coming back.
The only problem is u will have to replant every year and use plenty of lime in the winter because lime will take 5 to 6 mths to start working and add some 10/10/10 fert. before you plant not after . remember fert,disc,plant,grow then lime.
This works real good. hope this helps you , jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:15 am

Your clover may be geting used by the Deer it just may be hard to tell?Try putting up a small wire cage to protect an area from the Deer getting into to eat,this will give you an idea if its being browsed on heavily or not.I also like to plant different things for the Deer to eat,we plant brassicas,rape,purple top turnips and sugar beets along with some winter wheat in the larger food plots.I have found that the Deer like the brassicas,rape and turnips the best especially after a good frost when the sugar content goes up in the leaves and the deer hit those plants even more!If there's a good acron crop the Deer will stay in the woods more and occasionally hit the food plots as the acorns dwindle down.

tmwilloughby

Postby tmwilloughby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:54 am

MDlease, after reading most of the replies, you've gotten some pretty good advice. The only thing that I could add is to have a soil test done and see what types/amount of fertilizer is recommended, and check to see that the PH in the soil is correct. Having a food plot in soil that is well-fertilized and that has the proper PH will not only help the plot to flourish, but will also make it more pallatable to the deer.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements