The beans are up

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

The beans are up

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:06 am

Well I made my furrows...broadcast the beans and flipped the harrow drag to flat side and went across the furrows....pics show the plot and the one with the bright green is the Succra seed I planted in the shadier part of plot...I have two more soybean plots I planted a few days ago...I don't hold out much hope for them though...the deer tracks are very heavy in this and the new plots....but it''s still worth the try[;)] 

fasteddie

RE: The beans are up

Postby fasteddie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:10 pm

And to think that I thought you didn't know beans ! [8|]..[8|]..[8|]..[:D][:D][:D]
Semper Fi !

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Your sure know how to plant a Food Plot MSBadger!"Congratulations".....Those are some nice looking plots.

We just planted some soybeans too,put in some peas,turnips,brassicas and rape seed in with them also,I added some sugar beets in 3 of the plots and then we disc-ed up the logging road and a nice long area along the field edge at the top of the logging road in front of my ladder stand where I Bow Hunt where We threw out some Throw& Gro and Red Clover too....got a very late start on the Plots this years but we've been getting some nice thunder showers each month lately...as a matter of a fact we had a nice thunder shower this evening just before dark that will help our Plots grow!

MSBadger...........You ever look for Arrowheads or other Indian Artifacts when You plow and disc your food plots?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:09 am

Thank you GTOHunter...it sounds like you've put in a lot of hard work as well and I hope all your plots grow lush and green and you and your have a fruitful fall hunting season...Yes this weather is great for growing but we've been socked in for 2 days with heavy fog..and rain...Did the coasts reverse when I went to sleep Friday?...lol

Yes I do look but mostly find bits and pieces of horse gear ....plowing equipment...house wares...being so close to the lakes I think most tribes would have stayed closer to the shores and in the shelter of the valley....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:38 am

Thought I'd do an update...Deer are on them now ...but it's the second plot area they are hitting too hard ...these beans were planted a week or so later than above plot...the pic looks segmented but its actually one contiguous plot planted around natural browse and cover....

easports

Postby easports » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

msbadger

I agree with GTO, NICE job on the food plots. I need your green thumb my way. What's the temp's been out your way?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 am

Thank You easports...We've been ranging from mid 70's to low 80's with just a few really hot days mixed in...The temps here on the hill are always much cooler than any wheres else..hey did you feel the earthquake the other day?...I didn't but went into the valley to the post office and the post mistress said it was so bad she grabbed her stuff and headed for the door!....She looked pretty shook up...pardon pun[:D]...when I got there half hour later...
So how is your plantings going?....I really hope well...I have yet to disc in the Feed corn...I go down and haul out 4 wheel barrels of rocks a few times a week ...need to finish up this week if any thing will get tall enough to do me any good...bad bad bad this year..serves me right for being cheap!![;)]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Looking good msbadger....Looks like your hard work is paying off!!!!
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks buckhunter....I'm pleased....went out to the top plot a couple of days ago and dang if those beans weren't 18 in. high...went back the next morning and they were 12 in. high...That's good...every time they get more leaf cover....the down hill plots are hit a bit harder...still thinking wood chucks and turkey...but all those little stems in the pic...dang if they didn't manage to sprout leafs...maybe it's all the rain....which...of course... now that I have the field disced once again for that corn...hhhmmm no rain due for nearly 2week span...lets hope they area as wrong as usual [;)]

I'm really hoping there are more like him coming in this Fall and that he hangs around until then...from tracks in the plots...there are some heavy deer around...

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:58 am

MS my RR beans came up and now look like Pic 4 (of 5) . There were few tracks on the plot when I had trinicate and peas w/ clover/chicory. So I put the beans in. They got up and now are just the sticks left. 50# with probably 99.9% germination with all the rain, but they got wiped out. Wish it was hunting season now! I did put up a cam today so hopefully will catch a few. Will the sticks send out shoots? Think I need eagle beans.

My other pea plot is not getting hit either. I also have clover/ chicory in there. Could not get beans in there as it was too thick. Inspecting it closely, I found the deer hit the weeds growing in it (certain kinds only).

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements