The beans are up

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: The beans are up

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Blazed my top bean plot is looking good...they waited until it was up almost 18 in then came in and dropped them to 12 in....but I had a lot of volunteer buck wheat come up as well and they spent time eating that...the lower plot....well down to mostly stems there...and I know it is deer but from the dusting bowls and other tracks ...pretty sure the turkey and a wood chuck did a lot of the damage...though the stems...even those with out even any leaves have started little shoots off the sides...so who knows...I'm drawing in deer they are eating well and I have turnips ready to go in in Aug...

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Hey msbadger! I seen some of those young men looking over the grass at your camera in these pics.. lol looks good.. I got a question to ask you about the beans and turnips!!! I never planted either, but would like to give em a try here in fl.We have sandy soil, acidy usualy have to use alot of lime before planting anyways down here! Then we have the hogs that act like a bulldozer on certain crops. any imput would be greatly appreciated... by the way you have a green thumb nice plots
ORIGINAL: msbadger

Blazed my top bean plot is looking good...they waited until it was up almost 18 in then came in and dropped them to 12 in....but I had a lot of volunteer buck wheat come up as well and they spent time eating that...the lower plot....well down to mostly stems there...and I know it is deer but from the dusting bowls and other tracks ...pretty sure the turkey and a wood chuck did a lot of the damage...though the stems...even those with out even any leaves have started little shoots off the sides...so who knows...I'm drawing in deer they are eating well and I have turnips ready to go in in Aug...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks Gulfcapt....I'm not familiar with where in Florida you are and know that that makes a BIG difference in temps as well as soil and moisture...I lived in Orlando many years ago........So here's what I did and hope it helps ...I went to Google and typed in exactly this..... Do soybeans grow in Florida.....Then clicked on the site for the university of Florida ...this has a great amount of info that would be helpful...did the same for turnips but not as good a result....they do grow there but...turnips need a good amount of moisture ..not wet but consistent...and what I do know...but see deer adapt to different areas as far as food...is here in NY they have stayed pretty clear of the turnips until a good frost or two...also your planting times would be much later than ours...Octor Nov- say Febuary....Now I usually don't go with commercial blends but companies that produce seeds for white tail have northern and southern blends...White Tail Institute is one such company and if you were to give them a call they maybe able to help..let me say they will spend the time to answer ?'s and perhaps even send you out their magazine...I get it sent two times a year...a lot of great plotting articles...and not just about seed but tractors and such

As far as the hogs...eek no clue...unless they don't like electric fence and you have the $$ and time to put up a solar electric fence...putting in 2 low wires will allow deer to jump the fence so they won't be leary of coming into the plot to eat...just an idea...for the beans..I'd make the fence have a set of higher wires as well..until beans are established...a set up where the top wires can disconnect from the bottom 2 by a "jumper" wire.

I not sure any of that helped but Good Luck...there's always something we can find to make them happy...usually in the flower garden...just try Hostas[;)] 

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks alot Msbadger your more help then you know! I will go on line and check it out, and I wasn't aware of the solar fences will look into that... again thank you
ORIGINAL: msbadger

Thanks Gulfcapt....I'm not familiar with where in Florida you are and know that that makes a BIG difference in temps as well as soil and moisture...I lived in Orlando many years ago........So here's what I did and hope it helps ...I went to Google and typed in exactly this..... Do soybeans grow in Florida.....Then clicked on the site for the university of Florida ...this has a great amount of info that would be helpful...did the same for turnips but not as good a result....they do grow there but...turnips need a good amount of moisture ..not wet but consistent...and what I do know...but see deer adapt to different areas as far as food...is here in NY they have stayed pretty clear of the turnips until a good frost or two...also your planting times would be much later than ours...Octor Nov- say Febuary....Now I usually don't go with commercial blends but companies that produce seeds for white tail have northern and southern blends...White Tail Institute is one such company and if you were to give them a call they maybe able to help..let me say they will spend the time to answer ?'s and perhaps even send you out their magazine...I get it sent two times a year...a lot of great plotting articles...and not just about seed but tractors and such

As far as the hogs...eek no clue...unless they don't like electric fence and you have the $$ and time to put up a solar electric fence...putting in 2 low wires will allow deer to jump the fence so they won't be leary of coming into the plot to eat...just an idea...for the beans..I'd make the fence have a set of higher wires as well..until beans are established...a set up where the top wires can disconnect from the bottom 2 by a "jumper" wire.

I not sure any of that helped but Good Luck...there's always something we can find to make them happy...usually in the flower garden...just try Hostas[;)] 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:52 am

I went out and took pics before a much needed rain that's due today...pics are self explanatory...With my adding this...Please note ...that these are not RR beans....I do have two weed problems one being chick seed..which in this case is a blessing for the deer have kept the canopy low and we haven't had rain in around 2 wks I think...chick seed is a spreading ground cover...and Lord help me night shade...which I have never had a problem with...it's coming from either the bracc seeds I planted or turkey and or deer scat...for it's pretty evenly spaced throughout the upper field...I may have to mow and replant winter wheat and turnips...it spreads by seed and herbicide tolerant..We'll see in a week or so.

The other thing is yes the beans did resprout and I have to say after 5 +yrs of doing the buckwheat rotations the lack of serious weed infestation seems due to that...I have no other explanation..especially seeing the problems I've had in the corn area that I didn't do that reg 3yr buckwheat planting on before any other crops...I also note that in the beans which all three different plots add up to 1 acre total...the deer have fed heavily on the volunteer buckwheat...allowing the beans to survive...Just my observations...   

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 am

Central WI. So far I've put out Beans turnips(remained from last year) peas, clover, chicory , and sugar beets. Right now the deer are hitting the turnips a little, practically whiped out the beans, but haven't hit anything else. Thought for sure they'd go for the peas as they whipoed out my garden peas last year, but I have 2 acres of  4 ft high peas and no nibbles even. The clover and chicory are under the beans, so I mowed a 1/2 acre of peas off last night to see if they'll come to the clover once it recovers.

easports

Postby easports » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 am

Nice job on those food plots! That green thumb of yours has been working hard. Can I persuade you to come my way to help me do the same?????? Just a though. :)

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm

New shots over beans

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Eas
3 years ago that plot was pure sand. Like a clean beach. Took some work, and it has a ways to go, but it's been well worth it,

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm

new shots

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements