The beans are up

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: The beans are up

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Blazed ..it's looking like they approve of all your hard work...congrats...It's not as cut and dry as some would have you think...the plotters that realize it is a many year process and stick with it ....are usually always rewarded with great plots and increased sightings for all that work...besides..... all the satisfaction in watching it grow...Good luck this season 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 am

So here is what I have decided to do...The deer and turkey have been in the beans for the last few weeks...they are pretty much handling the grazing very well with consistent regrowth...but I know they will never get beans...but that was expected...they have done their job in producing a feeding pattern ...gave a good protein forage...and fixed nitrogen in the soil after the turnips..

The problem is not weeds per say but an unforeseen nor previouse influx of Deadly night shade...which has me in the predicament of stopping it by mowing before flowers develop...so going through the plot ...I have decided to mow and then disc strips through the plot where the NS is the worst...and immediately drag and sow in rape and turnips...I will leave beans in other areas until the strips start growing well and then take out the remaining beans...to plant winter wheat and turnips...the later grain will still be good for archery season

For the lower plots I will do the same ...putting in some secret spot and braccs and grains...for today I found the night shade growing there as well...I now feel it's the turkeys that have brought the seed in...for I am now finding curly dock EVERY where!...they have exploded on the property  

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 am

My bean stubble has bounced back as well. I threw Turnips and sugar beets in the stubble, even though this was the third year on that plot for them. I wanted to rotate them out for a year, but their draw is so good during the season, I couldn't resist trying. For sure next year no Bracs there.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:00 am

Good luck with that blazed ...if your weathers like ours it should take right off...So I mowed through the beans where the worst of the night shade was  and then went in and checked for and pulled bigger plants on edge...what do I see? but purple flowers starting on all the beans!...I really didn't want to micro mange the plot but now I'm thinking again...hhhmm

Then went down to the corn and there is a huge flock of turkey and a dozen or so poults....Yep I'm surely not counting on much cover from that this year...3" corn plants just scratched out and laying everywhere[&o]...Thank heavens I only payed 7.50 for that corn...dang if it didn't germinate like gang busters...one week and it is growing that well...I may get a little screening from it ...my own fault...I usually put whirly wigs in smaller plots and my garden to keep the birds away...Robins are bean snippers...but this was such a big area I  didn't bother...then again I wasn't expecting such an explosion in our turkey population...must be doing something right...rounded a bend yesterday on a trail and there stood 3 long beards....[:)] WTF would be proud...lol

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 pm

I am having some bad weed troubles this year in one of my bean plantings as well. Readingt the last couple post has me me thinking about what to do. My plants are really shaded out by the weeds now (not sure what kind they are) and have been in the ground since June 2. Do you think if I mow I could get them to re-bound somewhat, or should I just cut me losses and disc it in?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 am

kb ...Id have to assume that you didn't plant RR beans like I...I wish I could give you an answer but I'm struggling here...I did go in and mow a long strip...and pulled night shade on either side but then found purple flowers on all the bean plants!!!...Darn if what I mowed to the ground ...didn't have leaves starting again!...I know that the strip I mowed I am discing in and planting the turnips...

Then went to check corn plot again this am...hardly a plant left in the ground...all pulled out...now I'm angry...yes I'm planting for the wild life ...but for Cover as well dang it!.....I'm just going to go get extra rape seed and walk the entire area....those turkey will not beat me....re thinking winter wheat...cant imagine they'd leave any of that in the ground either[8|]

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Turkey troubles - not a problem in my neck of the woods yet unfortunately - fun hunting those too! Good luck ms

Beans are r/r but I don't own a sprayer yet. Usually rent one once a year for the day but I am trying avoid it again. I think I'll just ride it out. I have some sunflowers in with the beans that will hopefully shade them all out b4 too long. Try something different next year though I think.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:43 pm

I over did it , as usual. I had Turnips in my beans that weren't doing well , so I threw urea down. Too much! I burned 1/2 my beans, and all my turnips. The urea got plenty of rain, and it's in sand, so I will put more of my GH radishes in, hoping the N has deluted enough.  I did notice that on the stuff that didn't get burned, the deer were hitting everything, from 2nd yr turnips to clover to beans. Even the weeds that are spread through out are nipped off.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey guys...Hope everything's growing well kb and sorry to hear of the burn off Blazed...I went out with the camera yeasterday...can't do much of anything else ...I have strep throat and besides the feeling of broken glass in my throat ..I'm just ZAPPED[&:]

Here is that new corn field..hahaha...well they left some plants...over look the rocks..it will be at least 3 more years of destoning on this one...the braccs on the edges and in the beans and Sucraseed are growing well...and some of my beans that weren't hit too hard by the deer are hip high now and the ones hit..hey they have tiny little bean pods on them...

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am

Looking not too bad considering the critter consumption. Stones look to be limestone?? Soil must be fairly decent in your plots? Did you have any big pH problems?

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements