The beans are up

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: The beans are up

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:43 am

kb....Ohhh I had them test that area two years ago and they called me up and said...We can't even find a number for it on the charts...ya....This was a farmers field and he told me he had NEVER limed it....most ppl around here have to add 3ton per acre...mines a tad higher....thus the long term plans...in that 1/3 acre corn I dropped 6 bags of fast acting lime...next year it will be three mixed with three granular...which is getting had to find....phosphorous was a bit low as well...see the buckwheat I normally plant the first years(I needed the corn for screening) helps draw up phosphorous with it's longer tap root...then it's incorporated back into the top layers...I also go with a high balanced fertilizer....yes we are in the Marcellus shale...not lime stone deposit...though being in the lake regions of NY...in a water shed ...we will never be allowed to "cash in" on the whole gas craze.  

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Got some more seed, but I'm not sure how long to wait for the urea to dissipate enough for new seedling not to be burned out as well. I don't want to work the soil as I still have some beans left and they are still attracting. Hopefully within a couple rains the urea will wash down in the sand.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:06 am

We are due for rain in the next couple of days so I disced up the area in the upper beans that I'd sprayed down...then went over it with the harrow drag and finally raked off more stones and the dead vegetation....too much rotting vegetation robs your soil of nitrogen when it first starts to break down...
I just came in from walking my purple tops over the area...beans are still getting hit but producing pods...The lessees next door just mowed the big field so now the deer will be hiding in the woods more...discovering all the new available food...berries are ripening fast and we are getting some acorn drop already...it's always so early here ...another plus ...the big alfalfa field 100yrds off our back corner was cut and just got a heavy dowsing of cow manure...that will be out of play for a while....
The field down the hill is just about ready to disc...need to remove rock piles first ...still thinking on that one...the turnips in the corn are growing great....and whilst I've been doing these things...I've also started a new stand and ground blind....the stand is on new land 14ft high but it will have sides...it is 6 ft x 32 in...I finished the ladder yesterday and just have to nail down the decking and the side rails...the ground blind I made from a packing crate camo tarp I'll get pics when done

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 pm

You're hard at it msbadger! I guess I was way off on your soil from the pictures. That's a lot of lime to add. Not a whole lot different here but it get's better every year as I add more lime!

qdmdr

Postby qdmdr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:28 am

HI; Nice stand of beans. I wanted to pass this bit of info along; Any RR Beans that are sprayed with Roundup Pro WILL KILL ALL beans. Be sure the product you are spraying on the beans does not contain anything but Gly-Phos. Some companies put Diquat in their Gly-Phos to help with the killing. Hope this saves some a lot of stress.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am

Thank You qdmdr...that is good to know..I have reg soybeans so no spraying for me...I didn't know they could get so many pods...12 to 28 per plant ...

Well remember that feed corn I planted and the turkey..and now I think grackle ate...then I got angry and threw down turnips amongst the remaining corn...well took pics of that and the turnip plot I just planted between that and the Sucraseed area....Hey I just may get a bit of cover out of it after all....all this moisture and now we have 80's rolling in for a week ....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:11 am

hhhmmm here is the other pics

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm

very very very nice msbadger! Im JEALOUS..

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:27 pm

msbadger check of my beans,not bad for a hillbilly jim

take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:38 am

Well here the last pics I'll post of plots...the corn is now  closing in on 6ft and giving cover...the turnips in that are are growing well and the turnips in the area I cut the soybeans due to deadly night shade are doing well by the way lost a baby goat to it.... went down over night[&o]...the remaining beans are still looking good considering how they've been eaten...Dad in law saw a 8pt crossing over from that plot last night...low  heavy wide rack and very dark...one I haven't seen

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements