fall food plot recommendations?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
JFry1969

fall food plot recommendations?

Postby JFry1969 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a clover, chicory, brassica blend for this fall. I had a plot of extreme from last year but Im sure the flood has killed it now. Its been under 6ft of water for the last 2 weeks. So I was thinkin I would just plant a clover, chicory, brassica mix this summer.

I mostly would like clover and chicory cause it seems like the deer here dont care much for the brassicas, but they will dig the chicory roots up out of the ground to eat them. Dont know why, but thats what I have seen around here.

My plot is about 1/4 acre and I cant really afford to go with Whitetail Inst. blends. In other words Im looking for something cheap yet productive if there is such a thing. I didnt know if anyone had any experience with the kind of blend Im looking for and if so what was the name brand?

On a side note, my plot usually dont flood, but after 13in of rain in one week a lot of places flooded that normally dont. But it does stay moist most of the year. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts---- Jeff

jonny5buck

Re: fall food plot recommendations?

Postby jonny5buck » Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm

@Jfry- I have had good results with ''Frigid Forage'' guy's clover...i just bought the straight clover and the mammoth red ..did good ..i have the same results with the brassica....the asian beetles ate it ..the deer didnt even hit it late after a frost...turnips were a flop for me also..it stunk up the property and the deer didnt touch it...the tops or the bulbs...for some reason Alfalfa is a complete magnet where i hunt..they also nail the sunflowers.and clover..go figure ? I gave up trying to figure out the deer...i just give me what they want...Biologic also had a good blend of the clover chickory..it came back for 5-6 yrs...real healthy--good luck- stay dry..you guys got walloped down there!

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks jonny5bucks. I will check into the Frigid Frost first. There is so many companies anymore it is hard to know which ones will work best. Truth be known though, most of them are probably the same seed.

As far as brassicas, no thanks. Ive watched the deer around here walk thru them just to get to whats left of the clover and chicory long after a killing frost. I like alfalfa also, but I dont really have the right soil type for it.

Thanks again!!

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun May 29, 2011 8:18 am

If soil stays moist clover would be a good choice. Ladino or standard white maybe. If chicory was growing well throw some of that in too. Mow to keep weeds down,

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 am

Try your local grain mill, seed is a lot cheaper there, They will know what grows good in the area.

Personaly i have given up on trying to grow hay. In my area the deer love soybeans. although with only
having a 1/4 acre, They would eat it down in no time.

you should be able to get a blend from your mill for less then 50$
Jake

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements