what to plant?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
misupercooner

what to plant?

Postby misupercooner » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:59 pm

new to the site ..and wondering what do i plant i want something that will last through november here in s/w michigan....i need an attractant something that will draw deer..we are surrounded by a sanctuary (power plant no hunting) and we want to draw the deer to our property we are getting a late start but wondering what you guys suggest heres a map we are the left 2 rectangles=60 acres the red spots are the "food plots"

GTOHunter

Re: what to plant?

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Call me Crazy...but I love the Evolved Habitat "Shot Plot" Forage Rape & Turnip Brassicas plants,add some Whitetail Institutes "Winter Greens" and a some regular ol Purple-top Turnips and the Deer will love it late season and with the frost the sugar content will go up and they will hit it even more!
If I'm not Hunting for Deer...I'm Hunting for Pontiacs!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Early November I'm with gto, when the snow hits I want standing corn..like gto said the turnips and greens turn to salt when the frost comes, its like deer candy...but the corn will hold them in harsh weather. How much snow do you get?

misupercooner

Postby misupercooner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

we get lake effect so it is normal to have 8-24 inches of snow on the ground from late december to march 1st

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Another thing we have done is add some wheat and foraging oats to the brassicas,turnip plots....that way You'll have some winter wheat and oats growing and it will come back up in the Spring and You will have a good stand of wheat/oats for the Turkeys and Quail and its like having a food plot thats ready early in the next year!
If I'm not Hunting for Deer...I'm Hunting for Pontiacs!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 pm

8-24 is not to bad is stick with gto's advice, one thing I'd try to add is very thick cover, pines or something to keep the snow lower around the plots.. or thick brush to stop the snow from drifting I know how the winds get from lake effect snow...where I hunt we usually have 24-3600 inches with four and five foot drifts, the deer leave the area unless there is standing corn..

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:19 pm

We use Antler Kings Fall WInter Spring Mix here in northern wisconsin. Works great comes up great in the fall and the deer will dig through the snow in the winter then it comes up green in the spring when the snow melts and the deer need food. Give it a look it only took 8 days to come up last two years after we planted it. This plot will draw deer like crazy for you. the plot is a variety of winter peas and winter rye.

Jane_Whitt

Postby Jane_Whitt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 am

Some Tips:

Dealing with deer
One of the keys to the success of Michigan landscape is a way to keep the deer from an excess of running your garden and eat all their crops. If there is a large population of deer where you live, you can keep under control the damage of plants, devoting much of its space to the deer species undesirable. Fortunately, for landscaping in front yards, the road can help reduce deer intrusion. If you like some degree of sightings of deer and are open to the loss of part of its plantations, you can still plant more attractive plants along the perimeter of your property. Elsewhere, columbine plant, digitalis, nasturtium, hyacinth, marigold and lavender. If you incorporate herbs or vegetables in your landscape, you can safely plant sage, thyme, dill, cucumber, eggplant, peppers and rhubarb.

Attracting beneficial insects
To further enrich your front yard landscape, select native plants that attract beneficial insects such as pollinators or natural enemies of pests. Follow the same design principles as if it were any landscape, creating a harmonious balance of plant sizes, colors and textures according to the front of his house. If you plan a traditional lawn, the use of these plants in the foundation planting in front of his house along the way and perhaps a few "islands" of flowering plants elsewhere in the patio. Include flowering plants native to Michigan as the hyssop yellow, blue lobelia, Riddell goldenrod, yellow coneflower golden Alexanders. From the names alone, you can see the variety of colors available from flowering plants native to Michigan. By incorporating a few in the edible landscape, be sure to include wild strawberries or wild onion, both excellent for attracting beneficial insects.

Prudence rather Trees
Only a few well placed trees well complete a wonderful landscape garden, and Michigan's climate lends itself well to a wide variety of conifers and deciduous trees. If you opt for a conifer, get to enjoy greenery throughout the year, a welcome benefit for the Michigan winter season relatively long. Whatever kind of tree you choose, keep in mind both aesthetic and practical considerations when choosing your location. If you have a low and wide ranch style home, a relatively high tree, planted at one end, may well frame, both providing a visual representation of an end to the horizontal scan lines and making the house appear higher . When selecting a planting site, we must also take into account soil acidity, salt content and level of humidity, sunlight and any nearby telephone poles or obstructions.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements