thinking about planting arbor vitae (white cedar)

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Putcountybowhunter

thinking about planting arbor vitae (white cedar)

Postby Putcountybowhunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi guys I hunt a small piece of property in lower NY. Im gonna plant a small foodplot this year nothing crazy, just about a half acre and a the logging road that leads to it. I cant get plow equipment back there so Im gonna spray and then plant a week later. For the actual plot Im gonna do throw and gro or secret spot (basically mixes of brassicas clover and rye grass). I was thinking of ways to maximize the potential of this relatively small area and while at the nursery today, the clerk suggested planting arbor vitae.

His only knowledge about deer comes from people complaining about their shrubs being destroyed but that seems reliable enough to me.

What do you guys think about lining the plot with white cedar? From what Ive read deer seem to really like the tree, and I think it would make a good late season attractant. The nursery by me has some arbor vitae thats been in the back for years theyre 8ft+ and they said theyd sell for like 30 bucks each so I think its a pretty cost effective plant considering it will come back year to year
� �No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.� (Jefferson Papers, p. 334, C.J. Boyd, 1950)

DBogie59

Re: thinking about planting arbor vitae (white cedar)

Postby DBogie59 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 pm

My farm is loaded with eastern red cedar and it spreads like wildfire. It's tough to keep out of the pastures. I use 2 areas for a sanctuary and both turkeys and deer use it for bedding. The nibble on it in the winter but mainly use it for bedding. I know arbor vitae is a different type of cedar but has similar characteristics.

jbekes

Postby jbekes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

I have done landscaping for a few years and we have planted quite a few arbor vitae's in areas that have a lot of deer and people never complain about them eating them. I would think that in a harsh winter when food is scarce they would go to it, but in times like that they turn to just about anything that is green and/ or ediable.
Whoever said, "Money doesn't buy happiness," obviously never bought a flyrod or a bow.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 am

I would say dont waste your time...deer are browsers and usually munch a little and move or feed thru....sure they may have eaten those trees or tops in a specific area or neighborhood at a specific time,but the odds are those trees wont have that much holding power.

Many people find the deer eating their hostas but i have never heard of them being planted in a plot....fruit trees are a better option but they will get hit for a while[while dropping fruit] and than the deer move on...my experience is to capitalize on already existing travel corridors more than plots--- the ''new '' food plot mentality has been invest all your time into spraying chemicals, clearing ground,and planting and fertilizing..than plop a stand right on the edge of it...im not totally against food plots but think they are over-used and overrated...i would rather spend that money towards gas/ scouting the area and maybe towards another stand rather than sink a few hundred into a food source...they key to deer is to never stop learning from ''them''....i think improving existing ground by working with nature is a better alternative than planting foreign species and fighting her...just my 2cents -good luck either way-

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:33 pm

White cedar in my neck of the woods is a real draw for deer in late season. My only thought is they can wipe out an 8ft tree pretty quick if they key in on it. Depends on what other foods are around I guess and what other cedar's look like in the area. Might be hard to establish them,

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements