Land clearing

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MikeinMO

Land clearing

Postby MikeinMO » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I have a large wooded tract that was logged about 15-20 years ago. I'm thinning now, to try and allow some of the regrowth to have room to mature, and of course the poor log trees were left and are now large and producing acorns, so I'm hesitant to remove too many of them. I'm also having some acre plus areas cleared with a dozer for foodplots. My question is, what's the best way once the dozer is finished to get the rest of the roots and rocks out of the way so that the soil can be limed, fertilized and loosened up for planting? I'm looking at renting a bobcat with a root grapple on it, and "tilling" the clear ground with it in hopes of ripping up the rest of the sapling stems and roots, etc that didn't get uprooted completely by the dozer. Any other ideas? Is there a heavy enough disk to cut through the 1 inch or so saplings and roots that are left? Would a tiller tear them up or just get clogged? Any ideas / tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

ranwin33

Re: Land clearing

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:23 am

Was wondering how things worked out.

On our property where logging had been done and landings for the logs created, we have had no problems creating food plots. I would think if you have a dozer come in to clear trees you would not need to worry about roots and sapplings. The dozer should take things out well enough to provide you a nice cleared space for food plots.

Its a food plot, not a crop field so the soil does not have to be worked near so well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements