Wet land/swamp food plot or preparation

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Ostermann

Wet land/swamp food plot or preparation

Postby Ostermann » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Okay, I have 20 acres in central Wisconsin. About 10 acres of pine/hardwoods. The other 10 acres can be wetland depending on the amount of rain. To the north is a seasonal stream that can be deep if there is enough rain/snow. There is a mix of redwood, solitary pine trees, and small clumps of brush every so often.

What I would like to do is plant something in the wetland. It is not easily accessible except through a 200-300 yard piece of land so I can't get a vehicle in. I was thinking of clearing out a piece of the pines in about 2 acres of pines I have. Since I have about a 3 acre swampy field to the south, I figured cutting out about a 100 foot by 100 foot section of pines, trees, and brush. I would plant some fast growing clover in there (No Plow, Throw and Grow, etc.). This would allow the sunlight to hit it. However, I want to make use of the swampy land. Hauling in more dirt by hand will take forever. To improve the value for deer hunting, I was thinking of planting some trees that can handle some flooding or wet conditions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ranwin33

Re: Wet land/swamp food plot or preparation

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am

I do not think I would plant anything. Rather I would do some hinge cutting of existing trees, open up the ground to sunlight and let it become as scrubby and brushy as possible to create a deer sanctuary where I could hunt the borders.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I might do that. I have a basically a few fragments of woods. I think if I can get some type of cover in that I could create a funnel from one block of timber to another.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Ostermann wrote:Hauling in more dirt by hand will take forever.

Not to mention illegal.
Ducks

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:12 pm

I meant from one spot to another. I have a few small spots that I can grab some dirt from and build up some of the other areas to elevate the areas to plant trees or food plots. These spots are a few hundred yards away and not exactly on the best type of terrain.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 pm

I am with ranwin... make it as thick and nasty as possible and never go in there unless you are pulling a deer out. Big Bucks will be in heavy cover during shooting hours. Shelter is no.1 for deer during the day, once there is hunting pressure, food can wait til dark.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm

That is part of the issue I have about cover and food. If you looked from the air it kind of is the shape of an "m" for how the property is. Imagine the swamp grass/stream above the "m" and the "m" as the pines/oaks/birch trees.

I have a 50 yard wide to about 500 yard long patch of swamp grass/seasonal stream that runs east to west on the north side of my property.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Tamaracks here and there is what I did..along with some cedars. Love those Tamaracks..and both give the bucks something to rub against. It's cool seeing them shredding what you planted :D Whole rub lines can be created even.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 pm

I might have to try that!!!

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I should point out I went with American Tamarack/Larch and other "native" species.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements