Other than Secret Spot, what to use?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
skipweber

Other than Secret Spot, what to use?

Postby skipweber » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Last year, I planted several bow stand sites deep in the woods with Whitetail Institute's Secret Spot. I was very disappointed with the results.

I guess these plots didn't get enough of something (light?), but I was told that Secret Spot was supposed to work in those circumstances.

Can you recommend another seed? It's time to plant!

Thanks,

Skip
sweber@latterblum.com

bowman12

Re: Other than Secret Spot, what to use?

Postby bowman12 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Without sunlight, nothing will grow too well, if I had to try something it'd be an annual clover mixed with rye. "No plow" from whitetail institute has some annual clover in it. I think berseem clover is the popular annual clover deer prefer, mix it with rye, wheat, or oats. I think rye would be the hardiest though. Good luck!

ranwin33

Re: Other than Secret Spot, what to use?

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 am

You have to have sunlight or nothing is going to grow very well.

If you do hac light, clover is the easiest to grow with out much work.

Save your money, go to your local feed store and get the seed. Unless your a professional who does this for a living you will not see any difference in plant quality and the deer really are not going to care if the seed came from the Whitetail Institute, Tecomate, or the local feed store. Get a mix of red clover and ladino.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements