planting feed corn...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

planting feed corn...

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 am

Well I planted my $9.00 a 50#bag of feed corn again this year and lined grain sorghum next to it....as usual everyone said it wouldn't grow...not get good ears ...ect...ect...well I went down to take pics...17days to bow so I won't go near it again until after Oct 15th here are some pics...lots of deer droppings and a 4ft wide turkey dusting bowl 30yrds away
Attachments
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG (115.3 KiB) Viewed 976 times
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG (73.06 KiB) Viewed 976 times
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (100.26 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

bowman12

Re: planting feed corn...

Postby bowman12 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Wow, when you say feed corn you mean the bags of corn you'll see at walmart or fleet supply sold for deer feed?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm

I plant T/C farm corn....they get midwest corn in and yes it's sold as animal feed

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Nice crop. We have tried growing corn in 2 to 3 acre plots, but the ears are usually stripped off at the 3-4 inch stage long before deer season gets going. Coons and deer make early and easy pickings of it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 am

They are hitting it hard here as well but I think the planting sorghum along one side has helped ...for the damage is only on the side the sorghum doesn't grow....I also have an area that I over seeded the soybeans with sorghum....they nipped the beans down to the ground before the sorghum(slow growing) took hold....now I have soybeans with pods....because the deer stopped coming into it once the sorghum got good growth.........This experiment may back fire ...if the deer decide they don't like mature grain sorghum....I thought they'd eat the immature soft heads but no.....we'll see...wanted it for theurkeys and my chickens anyways ;)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 am

We have had good luck with soybeans, we could really tell along the edges how hard they were being hit. Figured the pods that were still on come winter were good for game birds and such. Worked hard on putting in that plot and then never hunted over it.

Tried doing a milo/sunflower plot up next to the corn to hunt doves over, but were never succesful with either developing heads. Might have been the type of milo we were using - not sure on that.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 am

msbadger wrote:I plant T/C farm corn....they get midwest corn in and yes it's sold as animal feed

I have spent most of my younger years on a farm and seed corn is or was not the same as feed corn. The seed corn is treated and cannot be used for feed along with the fact I was told a few weeks ago cost $300 + per bag around here.

So I respectfully ask, what is T/C farm corn? Whatever it is, you have a GREAT looking crop for sure!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 pm

I think she is talking about Town and Country - which is farm store like a Tractor Supply or Oschlens.

The corn itself is probably cleaned whole kernel feed corn, which will sprout provided it has not been irradiated or treated with something.
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

ranwin your correct...thank God someone understands me....LOL ....just the corn they sell as feed....I started this experiment a few years back....and have progressively gotten better at it....all I really wanted when starting out was a screen against road hunters....I can't tell you how well this has worked out...especially for our turkey......Mr B. came home last night to a flock of 10 toms and jakes sneaking out of the front garden to cross over to the pasture...his truck scared them back towards the house and woods...This is a new flock for I've not seen them..... but do have pics and sightings of 3 other hen and poult flocks....Next year I'm planting Sun Hemp

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Looks good...i never knew ''feed corn'' would do that good....im curious how you planted it..?....more the sorghum than the corn..and at what depth?....They plant sorg. at a park i hunt and the turkeys were bedded in it,big time...i have never seen that many turkeys in one place....they plant about 12 acres total ---10 in one spot [where i seen all of them],and 2acres next to sunflowers that get mowed before deer season- your's looks just as good ..nice seed heads-

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements