last weeks archery doe

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
650Brute

last weeks archery doe

Postby 650Brute » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 am

Broadside as a barn, 15 Yards.

At the shot I could tell one leg was broken. She ran real low crashing loudly. Thought "done deal",.... Wrong she got up again and I could tell she covered some distance.

Radioed my bud, he met me 45 mins later, I climbed down and recovered 1/2 my arrow. Started on good blood, smeared on trees, then NOTHIN'.... Found where I'd heard her stop, then NOTHIN' again.

I knew which way she'd gone, so my bud stayed at last blood each time until I found more by circling. Found her 300 yards away, very little bleeding AT ALL.

Arrow destroyed shoulder bone (My fault, hit lil' too far forward) and got stopped on opposite shoulder, thats why there was no pass thru.

I was getting a lil' worried.

Squirrelhawker

RE: last weeks archery doe

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:01 am

Glad it worked out. Out of curiosity, what kind of broadhead?

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I had a similar situation myself earlier this year.  Shot just a tad too far forward, although I am still convinced that my arrow hit a limb or something enroute to the doe.  Buried in the front right shoulder, definitely a broken leg and at least one lung gone.  Thought the deer was a done deal.  Ended up tracking the deer that night after waiting 2 hours.  Figured I'd let it expire because I knew it was a tad forward.  Ended up jumping the doe that night.  Saw the deer run about 50 yards, and then ended up bedding down.  I pulled out, and went to bed...sleeplessly.  Woke up the next morning and picked up the trail again.  Jumped the deer again from where it had previously been, however it let me get within 10 yards of it, and I could not see it because of the tall CRP grass.  Ran about 10 yards, and bedded down...never giving me a shot to finish it off.  Tried to sneak around downwind of it, and it saw me again...leaves crunching and such.  Ran out of sight.  Pulled out again for fear of kicking the deer off of the land.  Came back later that night, and the deer was dead where I last saw it run.  Coyotes got the best of it before I could get to it.  Such a waste of good meat.  Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes.  I tried to do everything right, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:31 am

We also had a similar situation. My dad hit a 6 point buck in what he thought was the sweet spot, we found half of the arrow that borke off, and there was a nice light colored blood on it. Well we looked for like 4 hours that day till it got dark (4 people) and about 8 the next day, and could only find like 3 spots of blood.

Earlier this year (over a year since he shot it) we were doing a deer drive in an early antlerless gun hunt, and my uncle found half a skull from what we believe to be the same deer. He found it about a mile in the opposite direction that my dad saw it run off to. We all felt bad, but at the same time if we would have looked in the spot my uncle found the skull, i would have thought we were waisting our time.

Return to Blood Trailing