Crossbow basics

Everyday Hunter

Crossbow basics

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:47 pm

What are the basic things to consider when purchasing a crossbow? Assume I know nothing. I don't know that I'll be buying one, but if you know the advantages and disadvantages of particular brands or models, I'd like to hear about it. (Don't just tell me what you think is the best.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

coach

RE: Crossbow basics

Postby coach » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey Steve,

I've tried many types, many models so I will give you what I think.

Two types of crossbows.....with cam or recurve.
Price is about the same...not to worry.

Recurve (Excalibur for example) is wider and a little heavier.  Simple, easy, reliable, fast.
Cam (Ten Point for example) shorter, not as wide, lighter and just as fast.

Both crossbows are above 300 feet per second.

A friend of mine has one with Cams...and he is sighted  with 100 grain tips.  Deadly at 25 yards.  If he goes to 125 grain tips, he is low by 3 inches at 25 yards.  While the Excalibur is dead on with 100 or 125 grain up to 40 yards.
By the way...40 yards is MY limit.

Many people say that they don't like Excalibur because they are 36 inches wide and its a pain to walk in the bush.  Its not made to walk in the bush...just like a regular bow.

I have a Pheonix Excalibur, 305 feet per second, which is ....I beleive one of the slowest in Excalibur...but is just as good as any other.

Also...the the scope that is made by the crossbow.  These sucker are so accurate, it is not uncommon to shoot 2 arrows in the same target hole.  Once its sighted in...you will probably do it yourself every 5 shots.  ANything above 300 feet per second...you basically don't see the arrow fly.  ITs that quick.

I had to change the string on mine....I went to the store...bought one for 15.00...got home and changed it on my recurve.  Good luck with your cams.

These are my opinion.
Keep in mind....speed is the main thing.  Deer basically won't jump the bowstring within 30-40 yards.  Too fast.  Less chance of injuries.

Hope it helps man.

Stephane
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm

I've been thinking about the Excalibur or Parker Cyclone. The cyclone has an adjustable stock and may fit better, but the excalibur is basic and reliable. I can also change the string by myself if needed. Still deciding.

Fishinfred

Postby Fishinfred » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:22 am

I have and hunt with the Parker Cyclone I love this bow its fast ( over 35t0fps) and extremely accurate Here in Missouri if your handicapped and use a crossbow our season runs almost 5 months and we can take an unlimited number of does at $7.00 per tag
Fishinfred

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 am

Excalibur Equinox it is. The rope cocker is pretty sweet too. I sighted it in this weekend and it didn't take long at all. I was hitting a 3" dot at 50 yards same day.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Hoytamania

Postby Hoytamania » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

What are the basic things to consider when purchasing a crossbow? Assume I know nothing. I don't know that I'll be buying one, but if you know the advantages and disadvantages of particular brands or models, I'd like to hear about it. (Don't just tell me what you think is the best.)

Steve

Thanks for posting this, ya beat me to it. My grandpa is thinking of getting one, and i have no idea about crossbows either.

Also, thanks for the input everyone.

Hunter2

Postby Hunter2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:19 am

It seems like Excals, Bowtech Tenpoint and Parker are the top crossbows. Hunter2

kellory

Re: Crossbow basics

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Also, don't forget, where you live can make a difference. I spent 5 years in California, and they didn't know anything about Horton crossbows, yet here in Ohio, it is the #1 seller I think. In California, the name to beat is Barnett, and here in Ohio, it is not as easy to get parts. I have had to contact the factory directly for the few parts I have needed. Whatever brand of crossbow you settle on, make sure you can get it serviced if need be locally, or be prepared to ship it and wait for it's return. One other thing, I could not buy a case to fir my Barnett RX-280 recurve. I had to craft my own. Compound crossbows fit a wide range of cases. Easy to find and some of them are dead cheap. My Barnett Demon fit most cases on the market.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Crossbows