To scope or not to scope...

Legnip

To scope or not to scope...

Postby Legnip » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:53 pm

What is your opinion of using a fixed scope on a crossbow? Since most archery shots are less than 30 yards, does it make more sense to stick with a peep sight and pins or use a scope. I am back and forth on this one. I like the scope, except for the problems that I have with eye relief. Other than that, I don't see much of a difference.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Highlander Archery

RE: To scope or not to scope...

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Either way it doesn't matter. If getting a full image from a scope is difficult for you stick with open sight.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:21 am

Depends on your eyesight. Used to not matter with me, but at 50 my eyes began to fail me,,especially  at dawn and dusk. Now I can hardly make out any detail when the light fades and a scope is a life saver! A better picture of where you are aiming on the animal is always a good idea anyway. Less room for error and less wounding!

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Well I had a Red Dot Scope on mine and I went back to Pins.

oneshot

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:33 am

I've used a red dot for years with great success! I never could cautch on to pins. Red dots are great for low light and you can get one with magnification if you like.

RedBud

Postby RedBud » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:28 am

oneshot 1  -Why did you go back to pins?   I am using a peep sight with two pins and am planning to go to a horton 3 red dot scope.  Is that a mistake?  With the pins, I have to make sure the pin is exactly in the center of the peep hole.  My thinking is that with the red dot scope it eliminates that concern.

coach

Postby coach » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:34 am

I have a scope on my crossbow.   I'll never take it out.  I've done both.  Pins and scope.
Scope for me....is way more accurate.  And my eyes are perfect.
Question of opinion. 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:50 am

I put scopes on all my guns and crossbows because of eyesight. I have a hard time focusing on the target and front and rear sights at the same time.  I had a zero power scope on my crossbow, but changed to a 4X.  It is much easier to pick a spot with the magnification. One thing I noticed when I switched from my compound to a scoped crossbow is that it is really dificult to follow the flight of the arrow. Partly, think, due to the speed and length of the bolt and the fact that you are looking through the scope.  

great white hunter

Postby great white hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:08 am

I got a Horton Scope on my cross bow and its great I love it. The scope cost me about $125.00 and it was worth every cent good luck.
Let the little ones goes

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 am

My wife uses a crossbow with a scope that has multiple reticles... we sight the top one in at 20 yds, then 30, and 40 and so on are automatically set.  I've decided to be really nice to her as she is deadly with her excalibur!

Next

Return to Crossbows