Which crossbow is best?

calkins14

Which crossbow is best?

Postby calkins14 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm going to buy my first crossbow for whitetail hunting here in Ohio. Went deer hunting for the first time last year with a slug gun and want to extend my hunting season. I'll be hunting from a ground blind since at 58 years old, I'm not crazy with the idea of climbing up a treestand in the dark. What crossbow would you guys recommend at a price less than $700? I'll probably go out hunting about 10 times during a season. I'm leaning toward a Wicked Ridge Invader but would really appreciate your input.

Thanks, in advance , for your replies.

bmstaaf

Re: Which crossbow is best?

Postby bmstaaf » Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm

I would go to a shop and try them out....there are numerous styles to test...my deciding factor was a light crossbow, some can get pretty heavy... test them before you buy!

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:09 am

Not sure if you made you decision yet.

I went through the same decision process before the 2009 Archery season. I spent about 2 months reading reviews and opinions on crossbows before I finally decided. I also stayed within the $700 price range. I ended up going with a Tenpoint Titan HLX with Scope. It is comfortable to hold and carry. I killed my first deer with it during the 2010 archery season. A doe at 20 yrds and an 8-point at 15 yrds. I also hunt from the ground.
The only regret I have (minor) is that I did not spend the extra money at the time to get the Accu-Draw added to my crossbow for pulling the bow string. I have a separate pull string for cocking the bow.

I agree with "bmstaaf". Try them out. The local archery shops in my area have shooting ranges to try out the bows that they sell.

Good luck making a decision and enjoy hunting

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I bought an Excalibur Equinox. I like the fact that I can change the string on my own. When the serving separates or breaks (and it will), I can change the string on my own. I'll carry a spare string in my pack and be good to go on the insurance. This is my 2nd crossbow. I tried the barnett, but didn't like it. The arrows are going to dictate how well you shoot. Get at least a 4 degree offset, but use 2" helical fletching if you can. Mechanical broadheads are the way to go. Good luck. :D
From those who much is given, much is expected

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:24 pm

I hunt with the Barnett Demon compound, may I ask what you did not like about the Barnett? I have had two Barnetts so far, and I like them. No rail greese needed on mine, and both of mine are takedown models, for easy packing. What turned you off to Barnett? :?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Crossbows