Shed hunting

gunther89

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 am

Well went out not really looking for sheds but was walking an area that I had looked before.  Was walking down a trail and right under the apple tree there was a shed.  It was a 3 point and I must have walked past it 4 times already.  There had been snow there the other times so it must have been under the snow.  I didn't have a camera with me because I didn't think I would find any.  So that makes 2 sheds this year.

Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:23 am

Atta boy! Congrats!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Nice shed Gunther89!  I went out today for a couple hours and did some shed hunting myself, along with some scouting (mostly scouting).  I ran through a cut corn field with an atv but did not find anything...Going to hit up a good area of pines next time since I know they herd up in there pretty good in the winter!

Another thing that I did while out today is 'pull a Patriot!'  LOL  The area that I got stuck in is one of the last areas to dry out in the spring...and in the back of my mind I knew that, but didn't quite think of that right before I drove through it (or into it rather).  I wish I would have had my cell...Instead I had to walk back to my parents (about a two mile walk) and get the tractor.  Whoops!

QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Another pic...I'm not sure what the problem is it says I can only upload one pic per message?  Hmmmmm....
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Man this is ridiculous....I don't know why I can only put one picture per post.  Anyone else have this problem? 

QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Yeah for some reason it only lets us post one at a time. I'll look into it.

Nice work in the mud! Gotta love this time of year!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Wow those are some roots in the field.  Just gotta laugh it off and go on.  I did the same thing about 3 years ago with a four-wheeler.  I thought I could cross a spring in the deepest part and ended up having to get the tractor and pull it out.  I guess we are dedicated deer hunters!
Scott

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Buckhunter: what type of pine tree's do you have on your land.  Our hunting group was thinking of planting some pine trees for good winter cover and was wondering what works best for you.
Scott

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:57 pm

We have planted over 60,000 trees over the last 20 years. Black Spruce seem to do best only because the deer leave them alone after they get about 5 feet tall. Reds in mass do ok if they can get by the deer, white pines are like deer candy. Evergreens provide cover but once mature they don't provide much else, good cover for song birds etc.  Looked for sheds today for several hours, no luck. The ticks are terrible here in Central Wis, anybody else noticing them yet? They will bug the dickens out of the turkey hunters in a few weeks!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks lonlon we have 3 choices to choose from and they are black hill spruce, colorado blue spruce and white pine.  We are just trying to create a good bedding area for them especially winter when the snow starts to pile up.
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Florida