Shed hunting

Patriot

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Do you feel deep snow aids or hurts shed hunting efforts?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm

congrats goose!  man i wish i had some luck like that...as stated before, i've never been very good at shed hunting.  and like was posted earlier, isn't it hard to shed hunt in the winter, when the snow is deep and you have snow storm after snow storm covering up the sheds?  maybe i'm just doing it all wrong!  lol
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:52 am

I think it definitely makes it harder to a degree.
Pro's-With the deep snow you have highways to follow and then they seem to only go off the main trail for a little bit and bed down. You don't have the deer wondering around aimlessly like you would if you didn't have the deep snow. So you probably have a better chance at finding a shed on a main trail because the bucks are using them as well.
They're herded up by us so it might help you in that sense as well you find one their might be more around.

Cons- Ive got 2 standing bean fields that I thought would be killer for shed hunting but due to the deep snow they cant even get at them.
With them herding up you might not have any deer on your land.
We went close to a week without any snow so any recently shed ones were not covered up. But we just got 4 inches lastnight so any that were out there are now covered up.

So it could go both ways I guess and I am no ,these thoughts are just what I have observed.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:48 am

Goose, thanks for the info.  I can see where it would be easier with the heavy trails and the deer not meandering too far off them.  Might give it a try.  On one of our properties I'm pretty sure those deer herd up and head across the road to the big woods for winter food since our area seems to not have enough for them through the winter months.  It's hard to find any well worn trails in the winter in there....You may find a track or two, but that's it.  Sometimes I wonder what the other woods has that ours doesn't?  That may be a whole other thread here...lol.  Going to upgrade on the winter food plots on that property for next year in hopes of keeping them around.
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Nice finds. Maybe if it warms up this weekend I'll take a walk with my neighbor's dog[;)]

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:11 am

Maybe you guys could fill me out on this, would thick woods or a more open woods area be better to find sheds? because my back yard is alot more open woods and were I hunt at my grandpas its alot more thick and its were my dad shot a huge 12 pointer and my cusin shot a huge 13 pointer, and were I had to pass up a monster 16 point buck! Ive seen sheds on my nieghbors land and he doesnt collect them or hunt much and doesnt care if I find them and take them, but im nervous somone would think im stealing them and i dont want that, hope you guys can give me some tips. Thanx!

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:52 am

Another thing, would any of you recomend selling shed antlers?
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:04 am

They really are not worth much unless you have a huge set.
I keep all of mine and use them as decoration or try to make stuff out of them like handles on the fireplace tools or lamps.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:07 am

oh, ok thax.
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:50 am

Don't shed hunt much....their hard to clean and dry tasting.  But at least you don't need a license......yet

PreviousNext

Return to Florida