Shed hunting

JPH

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 am

My friend (some of you know who I am talking about [;)]) found this 10 pt., 80+" shed in one of his food plots last week.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 am

Wow, what character JPH!!!  You sure that ain't a yearling moose running through your woods? [;)]

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 am

ive found a few dead deer over the years. some random bones once in a while. i mostly search fields because we have pretty small wood lots on our land, so i dont find a whole lot of anything. i found some arrows one year that a buddy had lost the year before. i also found an arrow from a deer that i thought i had missed. turned out i hit the deer and in walking around, the arrow had fallen out on a trail and i found it the next spring when shed hunting. i have no idea what happened to the deer.
the deer also dont winter in the woods we have, so the odds of finding a shed are next to nothing on the property i hunt. i still walk the trails, but i dont get too crazy.
dont wait 'till summer though, get out anytime from now through the spring. you wont find much by summer.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Wow, what character JPH!!!  You sure that ain't a yearling moose running through your woods? [;)]

Lol! Not MY woods. HIS woods!

He has an amazing place and has worked tirelessly to make it even better. He has some great neighbors and there have been some truly amazing deer taken.

...and I am a good enough friend to say nothing more than that on the internet. [;)]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 am

I'll be out again shed hunting this weekend.  The spots I want to go to are about 1 mile from the farm house.  Too much snow for 4 wheeling and the farm snowmobile is broken down.  Looks like I'll be hoofing it.  Good excercise!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:11 am

I also will be going out this weekend.  We haven't had any measurable snow in about 2 weeks so any bucks that shed there racks should be on top of the snow.  Also its actually gonna make the 30 degree mark which is gonna be a heat wave compared to the highs in the single digits.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:37 pm

After reading some posts it got me thinking. I have been shed hunting several times this year with no luck and we just got a ton of snow today. Any idea if rodents will dig in the snow to chew on the sheds or not?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Put out a mineral block then went for a walk. Still no sheds. They are probably all in the middle of my swamp where I dislike going.[:o] Creepy place. Just have to try again in a few days[8D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm

I was out for 4.5 hours on Saturday.  I must have walked close to 3 miles.  No sheds, but man did I get good excercise!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:48 am

How much snow do you guys have on the ground? We have about 20-24" . Cant walk unless your on a good deer trail.
I hear ya on the workout! Last time out my sweatshirt was soaked!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Florida