Shed hunting

gunther89

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby gunther89 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 am

Went out Saturday for a couple of hours and found no sheds.  Lots of sign still but got permission to shed hunt the land next to ours where I found 4 last year and saw a nice buck on there land so hope to find some on there's.  We have about 12-16 inches of snow on the ground and very hard to walk unless your on a path.  The south side hills have hardly any snow in spots so that's a good sign.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 am

Just as a note, I saw a 1.5 with his antlers still intact.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:07 pm

I've mostly been a North American Whitetail forum guy but i recently found this one. Ive found three sheds this year already and a big dead 8 pointer. One 65 inch 5 point shed on the first of january, another big 5 point shed about the same size on the 23rd, and a little 3 point shed on the 25th. already logged around 40-50 hours shed hunting, the rest of my free time is spent ice fishing. i love shed hunting almost as much as the hunting itself!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Welcome Whitetailaddict and congrats on the sheds.  Sad to hear about the big 8 pointer.  If you got pics of the sheds please post them, would love to see them.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Also, welcome Whitetailaddict. I am on the NAW forums also and have talked to you on there. I'm glad that you joined this forum. There is much more debate and action on here than on NAW.

I havn't found any sheds yet, but am hoping to get out in March.
Kyle

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Snow depth in my area (West Central MN) is very high compared to the past 5-10 years.  I'm not sure on the exact depth, but many areas were well over my knees. 

I'm hoping to make it back out in about a month and check again (my spot is 3 hours away as many of you know).  Hoping to use the 4 wheeler next time!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Saw a 6 pointer this past weekend while I was up in Oneida County doing some Grouse hunting.  Still had it's antlers.  They haven't all dropped them yet.  I'm assuming if we get a good snow fall in northern WI before too long and all should have dropped them.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm in west-central WI and we have about 14 inches in SOME fields still.  Overall, I would say an average of about 6.  This last weekend with temps in the 40s burned a lot of it off unfortunately.  I say that just because I'm a snowmobiler.  Looks like we'll be driving north again to find snow!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:53 am

Welcome Whitetailaddict ! It's good to have you on board!
So what county do you hunt? Bow and gun?

I hunt Winnebago and Waushara mostly but will also spend some time in Outagamie,Price, and Clark counties as well.
I consider myself a bowhunter who also gun hunts.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:21 pm

I hunt in big woods in Washburn county with bow rifle and muzzleloader. i do shed hunt up there a couple times a year, but get out around my home a lot more, and know the deer around there, and their shedding habits well. i have found some nice sheds up north as well though, including one little one this year, and one during rifle season (although i wasn't actually looking then obviously) i couldn't see or shoot a buck during rifle season (or any deer for that matter) but at least i can find their antlers! [;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Florida