Florida Roll Call!

FoodPlot

RE: Florida Roll Call!

Postby FoodPlot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

I live in Crestview, Fl and have for the past 22 years.  I have hunted Eglin (Not Elgin) AFB and in fact have hunting and fishing permits for this year.  I have friends that own land plus I have had my own leases but this year, my lease was sold.  I am a 100% Disabled Vet who gets out a few times now and then.  Plenty of hogs and turkey around the area with some nice deer. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:39 am

Welcome to the Forum Foodplot!

Looking forward to reading about your exploits.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

longcarbine

Postby longcarbine » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Been a while since I was on this forum....about 3 1/2 years.  It has been so long I had to re-register.
  I live up in the panhandle, in Santa Rosa County (Milton).  Been hunting up here for about 26 years.  I have seen alot of changes in those years.  I cut my teeth hunting the old St. Regis Pasture also known as Champion WMA.  After some years of hunting this area it was turned into a pay to hunt WMA.  I then began to hunt Escambia River WMA.  Again after some years of hunting that area, the state decided to lease the land out to hunting clubs.  I then began/currently hunting Blackwater WMA.  I thought about forking over the 150.00 or 200.00 to hunt the Bluewater WMA (Champion WMA), but it is now leased to hunting clubs.  Yep I seen alot of changes up here.  Quite a bit of public land lost to the almighty dollar.  There is still quite a bit of public land in Florida and I'm sure that some of these lease's will come full circle.  A good example is Perdido River WMA.....once was a club and the state bought it back.  It now is managed under special quota system.  There is some good hunting along that river.  All I ever hunted was public land and had to work very hard to be sucessful at it.  I hate to see so much of it turned into club land. 
 We all have our own methods of hunting.  I prefer natural settings.....in the woods.  I have sat in a shooting house before and killed some deer out of them.  I felt like I was watching TV, looking thru that slot in the shooting house.  It wasn't for me.  I prefer to hunt in the woods and see what is offered by the old river bottom, backstrap monster.  

Roll Call!!!!  I'm here. Hanging off of an old lobb-lolly pine swingin' in the breeze.

Sorry for the soap box.

Our rut usually runs around the last couple weeks of January into Feburary.  The bucks are scraping now...need to be in the woods!!
Yall be good.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 am

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

Viking I've hunted Eglin,make sure you read there rules.Don't be suprised if you're up a tree and a squad of Rangers walk by.That's where they do part of there training.Great place to hunt. 

I know the Eglin Range quite well, I spent 6 years there working Telephone Maintenance when I was in the Air Force.  We use to hang out at the Ranger Camp, we enjoyed teasing the rattle snakes they have captured and keep on display there. 

The Eglin WMA has some funky rules that's for sure and hard to keep track of, seems like every area is different.  Some day I hope to get my own land in the northern part of Okaloosa or Santa Rosa county so I don't have to mess with the WMA's.  I would lease but damn that's expensive these days. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Welcome "back" Longcarbine.
What a great amount info, most of that probably not many folks know.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kazi19722003

Postby kazi19722003 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:11 am

i live and hunt mostly farm land  in jackson county in the panhandle of florida bordered by alabama and georgia the rut runs from january to febuary

flcracker

Postby flcracker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:37 am

Have not logged in some time had to re-enroll however I Hunt a lease in Chiefland and probably have seen sea monkey chasing the rats out of the bunk house a few times.

Sea Monkey

Postby Sea Monkey » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 pm

What's up, FLCracker!  As you can see, I try to log in every year or so, just to stay current.

See you in another 8 weeks.

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 am

I live in Florida. I live in a town called Cape Coral. Down where I'm at my German Shepherds are bigger then deer here. Then if you hunt North Florida deer are bigger since near Georgia line. You can take a buck in the 150 class if its your day. I'm hunting Perry Florida on a farm in November. Suppose to be the rut there. The farmer has trail cameras up and has seen some nice bucks. Actually 6 where we will be hunting 4 were 8 points one 9 point and a 10 point monster. Said all were still in velvet and could be bigger. Last fall a record for Florida was taken off his farm. Then we have high fence ranches. Breeding stock from the mid west ,Canada Pa, Missouri. There you can take a buck 200 plus class if you have the money for a hunt. Those hunts start out at $3700. Too rich for me

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 am

I live just north of High Springs in Columbia County but I spend a lot of time in Gainesville.  I go to school there, girlfriend lives there and most of my friends.  I'm bow hunting a small patch of woods near the house but plan on hitting Big Shoals and Devils Hammock in the gun season.  Nice to see so many fellow crackers here.

PreviousNext

Return to Florida