Permits to shoot deer at night

wolfbay

Permits to shoot deer at night

Postby wolfbay » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

The deer population on my place has dramatically declined this past year and I believe it's because of a nearby farm where they have a permit to shoot any deer on their property at night with lights. I didn't realize until recently how many of these permits are given and fwc says the number is rising sharply each year. If they are giving these permits IMHO they should at least list the locations on the fwc web site. This info could help in choosing a lease or for a deer management plan. I wonder how many hunters know how extensive this program is.
Ilegal poaching is probably just a drop in the bucket compared to this program.

Sailfish

Re: Permits to shoot deer at night

Postby Sailfish » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 am

I did not know you could get a permit to hunt deer at night with lights.
I know of a permit that you can use lights and a gun to harrass deer eating crops.........but not kill

I'll need to research this more, very intriguing
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Night hunting with spot lights for predation hunts are also done here in SC. Hilton Head is a prime example, plus they actually pay professional shooters to do it, instead of allowing licensed hunters the opportunity. Many of the privately owned plantations also get the permits and their wildlife managers(in many cases DNR employees) are allowed to conduct the operations.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

wolfbay

Postby wolfbay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Pro staff-
It's surprising how few Florida hunters know about what they call deer depredation permits.To translate the farmer gets a permit and he and his buddies can get together and shoot with lights at night as many bucks does and fawns that come on the property.There are a lot of them all over Florida and permit numbers are growing rapidly.
I have attached a map with the permit locations for the panhandle but its not up to date and numbers are increasing. Permits are issued all over the state.you can request a map for your area by calling Corey Morea 850 617 9487 at FWC.
Poachers have an insignificant effect on the deer herd compared to these permits.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.29 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 am

I know a fella at FWC, i'll get his take on these.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to Florida