Bedding

Floridachris

Bedding

Postby Floridachris » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 am

Hi guys,

I am new to hunting in Florida and need some help understanding where and what deer bedding looks like. If anyone has any tips and ideas to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

rthomas4

Re: Bedding

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Look for the thickest, nastiest, most briar laden spot on the property, and that's the bedding area. Fairly new cutovers are prime spots, and the closer the area is to a food and/or water sources the better it will be.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 pm

You should be able to see oval shapes where the grass and such are smashed down where the deer have been laying. Deer will generally defecate when they get up after snoozing for awhile, so there should be a high concentration of deer poop in these areas as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Deebz wrote:You should be able to see oval shapes where the grass and such are smashed down where the deer have been laying. Deer will generally defecate when they get up after snoozing for awhile, so there should be a high concentration of deer poop in these areas as well.

Good point.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

FlDeerman64

Postby FlDeerman64 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 am

We still have high grass and broom sage in our fields that on a sunny day the deer love to bed in.If it's windy they like the thick edges.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 pm

FlDeerman64 wrote:We still have high grass and broom sage in our fields that on a sunny day the deer love to bed in.If it's windy they like the thick edges.

U see that much in the daylight?
I have a field I cut through to get to my woods, maybe thing high grass and TALL sage here and there and plenty of dog fennell, but never kicked up a deer. Turkey, no deer......not in daylight anyways. Possibly its the property as well, lots of cattle.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

TerribleTed

Postby TerribleTed » Mon May 26, 2014 6:12 am

In the summer i have found deer laying in the water in the swamp grass. During season I watched deer come in by my stand and bed down in the tall grass.
As for jumping deer in the grass no and you might not. I watched two hunters walk by a doe less than 10 feet from her. the doe just watched them go by. All She did was stay down.

I have also see deer bedding 70 yards from 15 air boats partying. Not until a boat ran too close did they run. My thought when deer are hiding they stay hidden when the up and grassing they bolt when you come by. You almost need to kick them out of there bed.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 am

I've killed bucks in their beds after the dogs jumped does that were bedding right next to them. I used to think they wouldn't bed down in standing water; but the last few years I've found that's not true.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Florida